Gunboards Forums banner

6.5 carcano reloading help

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  toot 
#1 ·
I am using Lee loading dies. I followed the directions on how to set up the bullet seating die. I reload many different calibers but have never seen this happen.
Ammunition Wind instrument Cylinder Bullet Wood

See less See more
#2 ·
Why would you continue to load the other three after seeing what the first one looked like? I think the crimping feature is set too low.!

Reactions: CopperniX
#3 ·
Because I kept adjusting the die to see if it fixed the issue…obviously didn’t. The paper says screw in to the shell holder then additional 1/8 turn. I’ve done touching shel holder and 1/4 backwards. I’m stuck with I have no idea what to do. Ive tried a bunch of stuff. I even trimmed a case down and it still did it

#7 ·
Here is how I adjust my seating dies ... I take ready to load cartridge case (no bullet), place it in the Shell holder then run the ram to it's fullest point. Screw in the seating die till it stops with in the cartridge case, now I back the ram back down place the bullet into it, adjust the bullet stem to it's highest height, then run it back up to allow the bullet to seat inside the cartridge case. I then slightly screw down the stem a bit at a time till I get to the desired overall length I want the cartridge to be at. Once I get that, then, back up the bullet stem far enough so that when I do the next step it does not push the bullet into the cartridge case to ruin the OL I just got. I then slowly screw the die down a bit at a time till I get the desired crimp I want on the cartridge case. Now once I get that, I lock the die at that set point, then screw the bullet stem till it stops, now my does have been set up for the whole operation in one step. I personally like the Lee 6,5 Carcano Factory Crimp Die they sell separately, I use it on all my reloads.

Patrick

#9 ·
It's always a good start if you have a loaded sample round. When making these cartridges. I try to find an original round and adjust my seater die to match an original before seating bullets. Once I get my die adjusted to an original round I slowly assemble my reloads to match the original. A dial caliper is always nearby to check my progress. I keep the original round in my die box so it's filed away for future use once my batch I'm doing is done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.