Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm I doing something wrong ? ... I have a old set of carcano dies.... and looking to replace them with a set that I can modify the bullet set to load original round nose .. the ones I now have do not have the length.. I can't find a set anywhere... I'm I looking in the wrong place ?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Dies are hit due to the covid chaos just like almost any other gun related product. That said, just be patient and they will come back soon enough. For example: 7.62x39 does vanished 4-6 wks ago and now they seem to be back. Same for 7x57. I’m waiting a bit before getting a 6.5x52 Carcano set of Lee dies, but don’t have doubts I’ll find some. I’m more concerned about the brass !

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I could drift a little off topic or deeper and point out rifle bores can run over size on Carcano. Bullets are available in 263-264 and 267-268. Hornady offers two diameters of 6.5mm expander plugs. I belive the Hornady FL die set for Carcano comes for 268. Not sure. I got a Hornady Neck die and ordered plugs for both 264 and 268. Seperate purchase. That one die will do 6.5x50,52 and 55. I assume CM as well.

IIRC Lee will sell over size expander plugs for a Pacesetter dies(?name). The customer provides a spec, such as +4 or 4/1000 over size. Something like that. I am having a senior moment but I am pretty sure I got 8mm custom oversize plug from Lee for a very a reasonable cost. I am going to guess Lee 6.5x52 dies come setup for standard 264 bullets. Dunno?

Lee also makes a collet style neck sizing die set, which I am using with good results in 303 Brit. I am NOT talking about those right now. I was referring to the Lee that takes an expander. These collet dies have a mandrel(?) no expander. That is not working the brass so hard as conventional squeeze down and expand out type dies.

As long as I am on the subject. I am using Lee collet type crimper which might be called factory crimp. My last 20 rounds 6.5x52 are not crimped and gently loaded with a single shot adaptor in the rifle. The plastic inserted adapter is available here or on ebay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.