Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
I believe the 28 gauge will be a little small. I hear there are 24 gauge hulls available from Mag Tec which are usable but, unless your Snider's chamber is on the large side (which isn't unheard of), they'll need to be sized. One can use regular .577 brass cases to make shotshells. This thread on the Snider forum has some pictures. http://p223.ezboard.com/fbritishmilitariaforumsfrm2.showMessage?topicID=1001.topic

There's a wealth of knowledge there that can take days to read!

Steve

· Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
If I'm reading you correctly, you now own two Sniders? You may need to start thinking about counseling, addictions are best addressed early on.:)

I'm not sure if it will help you any or not, but here's a couple of pictures of the firing pin protrusion on my Snider sporting rifle. I'd think as long as you have enough length to reach the primer, a little extra shouldn't hurt anything. If you are reloading for your rifles try it out on some primed cases.

I slugged the bore on mine by using a .570 round ball which I had flattened slightly with a hammer so it was a larger diameter. When I tapped it down the bore it showed the rifling quite well. If your carbine has rifling, it should show up on the slug if you want to go that route. A .575 minie ball goes down my bore pretty freely, don't think I could tell much about my barrel if I used one of those.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.