Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Snider Enfield that I believe had been either warn to the point of no rifling or had the rifling removed.

I have found that it almost chambers a 2 3/4 inch 28 Gauge shot shell.

(about 1/8th of an inch too long)

Has anyone tried a custom 28 gauge shell for their Snider Enfield?

Does anyone have a pet load?

· Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is my update:

I have got my Snider carbine functional now, with a new old stock pin and spring.

I still need to figure out what acceptable firing pin protrusion is, otherwise it seems to be functional.

I pushed a 58 caliber mini ball down the barrel from the muzzle and there was some resistance but not enough to deform the ball.

It felt like it was twisting as it went down, but that may be just wishful thinking.

I read the information posted and see that this is a purpose built carbine from the front and rear sights. (thank you Steve and Grant)

I got a deal on an full size Snider at a gun show recently.
I purchased it because the price is right and it appeared to be in very good to excellent condition and included the bayonet.

There are markings on the butt plate that would lead me to believe that this may be a recent Nepalese import.

Is there anything I should look out for on these?

What is the acceptable protrusion for the Snider firing pin?

· Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will look and see if I have or can get that Lyman mould.

I went through my stock of .58 caliber stuff and can find Mini balls and sabots that fit decent, but not perfect.

All of my round balls are .57; too loose to consider using.

Yes, I have two Snider's now.

One carbine and one long rifle.

There is a big difference in the quality of the work that went into them.

The Long rifle has redundant safety devices incorporated in the loading mechanism that the carbine does not have. (The carbine opens and closes with little resistance from a small lump and hole in the bottom of the receiver while the rifle has a button that locks it open and closed.)

I will snap some photos soon.

· Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Marine: Have you ever tried using 24 ga brass for loads? I have some lathe turned brass that is terrible. I'm thinking of investing $18 in 25 pcs of brass and sizing it down. ~Andy
I would try it if I had a source for them.

24 Gauge is almost unheard of here.

I hound that I can get a 28 Gauge to chamber without being swallowed and I have found that with effort I can modify a 28 gauge shot cartridge to deliver a 58 caliber mini ball.

I haven't tried it yet, and I don't expect that it would be accurate that way; but there is unknown potential.

· Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Grant,

Thank you for sharing all of that great information and those fantastic pictures and sketches.

I believe the carbine is a Mark I from your description.

It has a very nice but odd bore. The "rifling" is like a shallow fun house mirror so it is hard to really look at with my bore light.

There is definitely a slow twist in there.

· Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will check it out.

I am still trying to get time and equipment to work for me taking pictures.

I am still trying to put items from my last gun show away and two more rifles arrived this evening for me to work on.

It will be easier after opening day is past.

· Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I apologize for the delay.

I just got the camera and a small amount of time a couple of hours ago.

Now I find that the pictures are too large or the system is being worked on.

I will try again later.

· Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I know that it doesn't show up in the pictures very well but there are buffed out and fadded English markings in the places they belong.

I feel certain that these are not "Kyber Pass" copies as my Egyptian Rolling blocks are clearly not Kyber Pass copies.

I have one Kyber Martini and you can clearly see that the intent was to copy British markings.

Egyptians like to remove existing markings and remark martial arms in their native language.

AFAIK, Egypt did not trade with the Kyber, and the Egyptian government had funds to buy better quality martial materials.

The marking on the side plate is found on all Egyptian police rifles.

The strange line out and renumbering in Egyptian characters

This particular Snider predates the current import of Kyber and Indian copies by many decades.

This isn't to say for certain that you are wrong about it being a copy, but if it was it would have been Egyptian or possibly Belgian.

Odds are more in favor of it being original since original parts match up perfectly. No odd threads and thread lengths found when making this shootable.

(I have been reading up on this since I have had to buy parts to make this rifle functional again.)

I would prefer an unmolested original but I will enjoy it as it is.

Thank you for your input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.