Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
4,034 Posts
Berdan primed but so me pretty good ammo other wise. Century arms was offering the same stuff.

·
Administrator
4,034 Posts
Yes it's reloadable if you can find Berdan primers. Some have converted it to take shot gun primers. This is some old ammo, so there may alos be some issue with age hardening. There is plenty of good new boxer primed brass around to be bothering with this as source of brass.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It shipped today. Pretty good service.

I believe in the latest Graf's catalogue it lists Berdan primers as being available at great prices.

Might be worth a look, I dont think it is on their website yet.

·
Sponsor
953 Posts
I believe in the latest Graf's catalogue it lists Berdan primers as being available at great prices.

I hope that's true, berdan primers have been like hen's teeth in the U.S. for the last few years, & my supply is dwindling. Even so, berdan primers come in a much larger variety of sizes, both in diameter & height, than boxer primers (SP, LP, SR, LR) & I don't know what size Kynoch would have used in those shown above. I've been reloading for my .303 British with berdan primers for the last 3-4 years, & it's been fun to do something just a little different. I use one of the RCBS berdan decapping tools &, as the primers I'm using are just a hair bigger than a LR boxer I've been able to seat them in the cases with my Lee priming tool.

·
Silver Bullet member
263 Posts
I think I recall reading that these use .254 dia. primers. I got 5 boxes of this out ofcentury myself. Boxes are falling apart and of fifty rounds I think I'm going to have to discard 2-3 cartridges.

·
Administrator
4,034 Posts
I just checked the Graf Website. No Berdan primers listed there right now. I don't know what size primers those Kynoch cases are for.

it's just so much simplier to use the boxer primers and boxer primed cases...unless you have a large stock of Berdan primers set away.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I just checked the Graf Website. No Berdan primers listed there right now. I don't know what size primers those Kynoch cases are for.

it's just so much simplier to use the boxer primers and boxer primed cases...unless you have a large stock of Berdan primers set away.
The 577-450 Kynoch casses I have from years ago use the same Berdan primers as the 303 military casses

·
Administrator
4,034 Posts
Roger what size primer are those?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Treat the casses lick you fired BP in them ,wash in water as soon as posible ,and aneal before the fist reload,and when you get the primers they will most lickly be old corisive ones,though it is posible to find newer non corosive ones

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,426 Posts
FWIW I purchased a quantity of the stuff from Century after the price drop and it was delivered Wednesday. Boxes are all in good condition, red stripe, berdan primed corrosive. (I tested it on the usual degreased steel plate, in the steamy bathroom overnight with a non-corro CCI primer/plate combo next to it).

I've fired 10 rounds from the two boxes opened and it's all click-boom. Dangit. The lot code was 1951; I've not yet had a chance to sort out anything different (33 more boxes to check).

·
Gold Bullet member
157 Posts
My six boxes of ten arrived today and appear just like yours. All show a manufacture date of 06/[19]48. Obviously corrosive, but at this price, I don't care. I am happy to know it actually goes boom when one pulls the trigger. Those of us who approximate this ammo in age always like to hear that!

·
Gold Bullet member
157 Posts
I have not, yet. I gather BRG has (see above) and that the few cartridges he fired performed as ammunition is supposed to. This doesn't necessarily mean that each and every one will, though, but I am an optimist by nature.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts