Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew these were rare, but are they that rare? I lucked out last July and bought a rearsenaled first variation Type 44 at an auction for $475 that happened to have that variation cover on it. It was my first Japanese rifle and now I own 14, haha! I think mine is a little nicer than this example too. I can't say I've seen many on the market.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-JAPANE...231564?hash=item2f00ffde8c:g:qUIAAOSwAANY4~uW

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
I actually did bid on it even though I swore I wouldn't bid on gray blanket auctions. It went way over what I was willing to give for it. I've been looking for one of these for years. I have two of the later variants, one with Kokura inspection marks and the other with Nagoya marks. Anyway, still looking!

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
641 Posts
I think I saw one for the second variation a month or so ago go for close to the same money . You don't see these very often but $500+ is steep. Never under estimate the power of the gray blanket.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
I think I saw one for the second variation a month or so ago go for close to the same money . You don't see these very often but $500+ is steep. Never under estimate the power of the gray blanket.
The covers for the second and third variation are the same.

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,290 Posts
Maybe it's a regional thing, but I seldom see them at the shows. I did see a really nice 2nd variation T44 at the Lakeland show a couple weeks ago for a measly $3500. The cover was included. Didn't even bother to pick it up. I do remember buying a 2nd variation T44 in near mint shape at a CADA show back about '98 for $500 just to get the cover.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
I've sold three of the second/third types for $500+ ; and one of the first type for more.

Didn't need a blanket either, that is just what the market IS for these scarce covers.

As someone said, best/cheapest way to get one is to a) buy it on a carbine or b) find one owned by an ignorant seller.;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.