Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found some berdan primed 5.56 brass in a batch of mixed brass I was sizing for reloading. Of course it broke my decapping pin because I was not expecting any non-boxer primed brass in the mix. Headstamp 83 over 12. Who made it?

·
Administrator
10,115 Posts
Other Berdan primed 5,56mm cases to be found now and then:

Singapore CIS ("GA .223")
FN and FN B (up to at least,2000.)
FNM (Military )
HP (early production)
German Military (all)
SMI (Italy)
French
Spanish
Swiss
etc.

Doc AV

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,105 Posts

FNM (Military )
HP (early production)
German Military (all)
SMI (Italy)
French
Spanish
Swiss
etc.

Doc AV
More of this berdan 5.56 than I realized. I'm kind of surprised I didn't encounter some of this at one time or another, back in the day I was a notorious brass scrounger, and reloaded many thousands of rounds of .223/5.56 brass.

My Lee resizing die had a collet that held the decapping rod/pin, unless you cranked down the collet really tight it would pop the decapper rod upward if it encountered too much resistance, thus avoiding a bent or broken pin. A nice feature me thinks, but it's probably not a bad idea to have a couple spares around either.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts

FNM (Military )
HP (early production)
German Military (all)
SMI (Italy)
French
Spanish
Swiss
etc.

Doc AV
My two favorite Military 5,56 Boxer cases are FNM (military) and Swiss (GP90)....did they make both Berdan then Boxer?

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
My Lee resizing die had a collet that held the decapping rod/pin, unless you cranked down the collet really tight it would pop the decapper rod upward if it encountered too much resistance, thus avoiding a bent or broken pin. A nice feature me thinks, but it's probably not a bad idea to have a couple spares around either.
Definitely a good feature. I bought a Lee universal decapping die about six months ago that is similarly set up.

I got really tired of bending or breaking the pins on my other dies if I miss a Berdan case, and I really don't mind the extra step of decapping the case before I resize it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.