Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my ammo from the ammoman arrived.

http://www.ammoman.com/webstore_762x54R.htm

It is advertised as Bulgarian yellowtip HB, but according to the chart on 7.62x54r.net, Bulgarian should be stamped "10" over "55." Now, "21" is the code for Hungarian, right ? The examples on the ammo evaluation section show Hungarian yellow tip with a stamp of "21" over "51," and Hungarian "Etalon" with white tips and "21" over "52."

Hmmm.

I still don't have access to a camera, but here is a photo from the ad that shows what it looks like:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
$100.00 for 500 rounds of Hungarian yellow tip is to rich for my blood.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I have seen lately, 20 cents per round delivered is what any 54r surplus costs now at a minimum, period end of story. Get used to it...

I stocked up on other varieties when it was cheaper, but had no heavy ball to try out.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If only I was allowed to own the PK pattern MG that goes with them.

But, yeah, the cans are nifty, if a little old and scuffy. As is the ammo...

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
7,961 Posts
Not bad with shipping. Of all the milsurp ammo, I like the Hungarian Yellow Tip the best. Fairly clean for milsurp and most of my Finns do well with it. All other flavors it seems each only work well in a small handful of my guns.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
That Hungarian HB is good ammo, and powerful to boot. It'll knock the snot out of you, so if you're recoil-sensitive, you may want to take your time with this stuff. It's pretty accurate, and it goes BANG every single time. I never had a hang-fire with the hundred or so rounds I've bought, but sadly, they're all gone :(.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That Hungarian HB is good ammo, and powerful to boot. It'll knock the snot out of you, so if you're recoil-sensitive, you may want to take your time with this stuff. It's pretty accurate, and it goes BANG every single time. I never had a hang-fire with the hundred or so rounds I've bought, but sadly, they're all gone :(.
This exact lot, or this same ammo from elsewhere ?

Maybe I should try it out in the longer M39 or M91/30 before the M44, judging by that description.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
From what I have seen lately, 20 cents per round delivered is what any 54r surplus costs now at a minimum, period end of story. Get used to it...

I stocked up on other varieties when it was cheaper, but had no heavy ball to try out.
A local dealer has been trying to sell Hungarian LB in a 440 rd spam can for over a year. At $70, I knew I could do much better buying from AIM or other Internet suppliers.

Now, that price is looking like a bargain considering I would only have to pay sales tax.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Seano, not that exact same lot, but the 50's Hungarian YT (copper-washed steel case, lead core, steel jacket). According to Ted's site, it chrony's around 26-2700fps and packs quite a whallop. I only had a few 20rd packs of it that I bought from a local shop for $3.75 + tax (a couple of years ago, after first buying my M91). Unfortunately, I shot 'em all up, and now I can't find any more locally!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I like the stuff. No problems with it, and all my other x54 is light ball. Makes a big boom. Recoil is manageable.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Most of it looks OK, but a few of the rounds at the top, or that were touching the can, are pretty corroded at the base. I'm guessing those are a big time no-no to fire...anyone else have experience with these old belted Hungarian rounds, especially ones that look "iffy" ?

Darn it, Sunday is "range day" around here, I just checked the forecast, and it's supposed to rain cats n' dogs, especially up in the mountains near the coast, where I like to go shoot. Bah humbug on that score...oh well, that's the Northwest in the fall.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Meh, just carry a bottle of windex or water to flush the barrels and clean as SOON as you get home. Rain's nothing to cancel/postpone a range trip over. I've done some good shooting in the rain, and have had the entire range to myself. Just dress warm and dry (test that rain gear out!! :D) and have a ball.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, I don't mind getting wet, it's the getting stuck 'till next week on the muddy logging roads up there part that I don't feel like dealing with. Maybe I'll look up a friend with a 4x4...

Anyone out there have any advice on the "how much corrosion on old 54r surp is too much" question ?

TIA.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
take some steel wool, fine-grit sandpaper or a tumbler after those corroded rounds and see how deep the corrosion goes. If the cases are pitted, I wouldn't risk it. However, if the corrosion is only on the surface (minor discoloration), I wouldn't worry. More than likely, if the copperwashed steel cases are showing greenish corrosion, it's simply the copper coating going bad. But, if it goes down to the steel, that's a different story...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts