Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a forum post from 2005 that said the 880rd boxes of 762x54r was about 70 bucks!!!! Now they cost between 160-200. Anybody have any info on the supply of the milsurp ammo? Will it be slowly decreasing over the coming years? Are there stockpiles that still havn't been released?? Will a war with Iran cause prices to skyrocket?? Can we expect the general price to increase over the next few years if everything remains the same??

I refuse to buy commercial ammo for my mosin, so if future prices will be going up a significant amount, i think i'll just invest a few grand in ammo today and save the future hassles.

also, i don't reload. I may be a bit against reloading at this point in time. I'm sure i can be more accurate if i start reloading... but the greatest factor in my accuracy at this point in time isn't my ammo, its myself. I refuse to reload untill i consider myself a fantastic shot.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Look, how many thousands of these rifles have been imported since 2005? Kind of unreasonable to think that demand for ammo would not increase. Because it's heavy fuel costs are also a significant factor. How much was a gallon of gas in 2005?

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Another factor in the price increase is the cost of scrap metal. 880 rounds of 7.62X54 R is a lot of pounds of copper, iron, nickel, etc.

The scrap value of a brass rifle cartridge case is close to 5 cents apiece now, and when you get 880 of them together and include the scrap value of 880 copper jacketed lead bullets, the SCRAP VALUE of those 880 rounds is getting to be about the $75-$80 you used to pay for it. Besides, you do not need import permits, etc. to scrap it out.

Also, we have not yet recovered from the 2009 'Obama Rush' to buy guns and ammo before he got around to doing something stupid regarding guns. Since he figures he no longer needs a legislature ("We can't wait for Congress to act." Sound familiar?) and figures that he can govern by executive order through his 'Czars' (Surprisingly similar to how Stalin and Hitler operated) you can expect some truly horrific stuff if he gets a second term.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Not sure about the scrap value, pretty much all of the Soviet and Romanian surplus ammo is steel cased, not sure about the rest although the Yugo stuff is brass cased, but that is now tough to get in many parts.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Free shipping , or discounted can be found

on occasion . I've seen the ammo for $160 to

get 2 spam cans of 440 rounds each ( 880 total )

but must add shipping . That is recently . But yes ,

shipping is a tool of the devial .

FIVESHOT

·
Registered
537 Posts
While people are natural complainers, I think the Russian surplus ammo is a steal. There are only two rounds, 762x54, and 8mm mauser that can still be got reasonable. 30.06 is a ripoff. 308 is a thing of the past. I can remember buying it for 159.00 a thousand, now its nearly 50 cents a shot. Some new made stuff is way over that!! There is some cheap questionable russian 308, but the reviews put off buying it. All those fine rifles one cant afford to shoot anymore. I go through a can of silverball surplus via my m39 every couple weeks. I just get a couple wood cases at a time. I enjoy shooting so, but if it goes the way or 30.06, and 308, I might have to hang it on the wall, instead of enjoying it practicing.

·
Registered
20,926 Posts
Ammo prices have come down from the high water mark Obama Scare period but the outlook is another Obama Scare is stoking up.

That said, it is intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that stocking up on milsurp ammunition is a wise move.

My standard going into the 1st Obama Scare was ten cases in reserve and two cases for range use and keep that ratio.

I may move that to twenty cases in reserve since the prospects of the wrong guy winning the White House may happen
and I don't want to stop shooting 762x54R anytime soon.

·
Admin Emeritus
19,083 Posts
Not from our sponsors- check out AIM and Copes and CFS and the others. All under 79.00 a tin

·
Silver Bullet Member
295 Posts
To reinforce aussie98's post (though not to the same extent)...the prices quoted for milsurp ammo have those of us outside the union pounding our heads on our computer desks. :cry:

Prices here in Canada for 7.62x54r run to around $350, give or take, for 880 rounds.

It's especially hard for us knowing there's so much "cheap" ammo so close, and yet we are unable to access it.

Still, it's cheaper than factory ammo and I'm buying up what I can where I can, even at current prices.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
To reinforce aussie98's post (though not to the same extent)...the prices quoted for milsurp ammo have those of us outside the union pounding our heads on our computer desks. :cry:

Prices here in Canada for 7.62x54r run to around $350, give or take, for 880 rounds.

It's especially hard for us knowing there's so much "cheap" ammo so close, and yet we are unable to access it.

Still, it's cheaper than factory ammo and I'm buying up what I can where I can, even at current prices.
That's reciprocal, though. You have all the cheap SVT and Chinese M14 rifles!;)

·
Registered
537 Posts
There is ammo out there cheaper than cope. They showed 79.99 for 440 rounds. The 10.00 shipping is balanced out by the higher price of the ammo. Now I checked another place, the armory. It was super cheap, $136.00 for 880 rounds but get this.... They wanted 50.00 shipping and handling, for two cases! so there was really no bargain there. You got to count your change. Tomorrow Ill try AIM, and see their deal. Need a couple cases, maybe they will get my business. To the gentleman in canada,your getting ripped off. They have a cartel on the product. As the surplus dries up, and all we got is some modern production expensive stuff prices will go nuts here, just like it did when the mil surp 308 was all shot up. These are the good old days. Grab what you can get.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.