Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How common is it for the gas tube wood to be stamped like this? Also the sideways stamp on the stock. Are the letters usually left off? This is a 1954 and the insides look new. The barrel has a blued finish inside and the chamber also. The rifling looks new all the way to the muzzle. Could the barreled reciever have been blued resulting in bluing over the chrome bore or is there no chrome bore? Finally got a pretty good pic of the muzzle end of the barrel. The crown is shinny , but the inside is blue.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When the numbers are stamped horizontally like that on both the stock and the handguard, It most of the time means it's an Ex-DDR. Look for a triangle 1 near the serial number on the receiver, It may also be below the wood line.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,623 Posts
^ what he said. Judging by the condition of the metal and wood finish, it looks like someone just renumbered a stock to a different rifle for repair, without refinishing the gun or the stock. The finish and markings on the stock look like a very nice Tula that spent time in East Germany.

I'll bet dollars and donuts that's a chrome bore.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There appears to be no redoes except the stock. All matches with no redoes. A triangle T is on the reciever by the bolt and a backwards looking R is in a triangle on the barrel nut. This has some white in it like the factory numbers. Check out the large stamp on the right side of the stock. Thanks for steering me in the DDR direction. I had no idea when I bought it. I just wanted one that was not wrinkle paint black. The bayo does have a triangle with what looks like an x. I will remove the stock and look for the triangle 1. Thanks a lot. I thought "Bubba" may had restamped it for a minute there!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm 100% Sure that it's a /1\ Ex-DDR Rifle, The triangles in the general location. Its probably just a light strike triangle, Which appears to be common from what i have seen. But anyways, Nice 1954 Ex-DDR! :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply. Was it common to have the extractor electopenciled to the rifl?. Mine is plain, but the piston and tube are electroded. Are the bore and chamber chromed on these late SKSs or just the bore? Thanks.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,623 Posts
Nice score! That is a really clean ex-DDR. I ran into a trio last year, that were like yours - "refurb", but completely original except for the stock. The most common Russian SKS I've seen is the force matched refurb with a light grey parkerized rear sight and a lined out sanded stock.

I have seen a couple later 100% correct "unfired" Russian SKS's. FWIW both had engraved numbers on the piston and tube. Might not be the case with all, though. Both seen to be chromed on bore and chamber.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I'm 100% Sure that it's a /1\ Ex-DDR Rifle, The triangles in the general location. Its probably just a light strike triangle, Which appears to be common from what i have seen. But anyways, Nice 1954 Ex-DDR! :)
The /1\ has nothing to do with East Germany. It is in fact the mark of a repair facility of the GRAU in the Soviet Union. The gun is a Soviet rework, and the fonts used to renumber the wood are typical Soviet style. This empty triangle is likely the mark of a different Soviet GRAU Arsenal as they all used various geometric shapes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
You have explained everything except the sideways numbers which started it all. I am sure you have seen this link:

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1642

I am here to learn. Are the chambers and bores chromed on latter Russian SKS's? The bore on my 54 looks chrome but the chamber does not.

Nice read here on triangle one Mosins--

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?339316-DDR-marked-mosins-Myth-or-reality/page3
The entire "sideways numbers" business seems predicated entirely on Wrobel's /1\ confusion. The fonts are Soviet and the guns have known Soviet GRAU arsenal (located in the Soviet Union) markings. They are Russian reworks.

I believe most late Soviet SKS have chrome lined bores and the early ones do not (at least those with original barrels). Not sure about the Izhevsk made ones.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you RyanE for you answers. So how do you think the sideways stamp came about? Let's say the rifle does not have anything to do with the DDR. Why did some get stamped like this? I am not taking sides. I noticed as you have stated that the numbers look like russian stamps. I took over 60 pictures of that triangle, looked at it with 3 different kind of light sources, and had 2 different magnifiers. I saw no evidence of anything evening trying to be inside. The outside lines are crisp as you can see. Also the upper handguard stamps are on top of new varnish and it looks like it may have been replaced and renumbered to match cause a new pin is a the end and the sides are touched up. Or maybe just the endcap.This is interesting and thanks.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
The numbering on the wood is just how this Soviet arsenal did things. There were dozens of these arsenals and all probably had their own way of doing things (within reason).

Take a look at reworked SVTs. Lots of differences in how they were renumbered. Triggerguards can be EP'd or stamped with or without prefixes. Renumbered stocks sometimes have prefixes and sometimes not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts