Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fed X dropped off my latest Enfield acquisition the other week; a 1950 dated C No4 MKI* with a 6 groove RH barrel. It was an early 90's import from Century and still has grease packed into all the nooks and crannies. Other than a few gouges in the buttstock the rest of the finish looks remarkably unmolested and got me thinking: how many of you have a fifties vintage LB and is it in the same generally vg condition (mine looks like it spent most of its life sitting in a rack)? Just curious...
mawkie

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have a few. But the 6 groove ones are a definite minority, I only have one of those. If I remember, a lot of these came ex-Belgium and Greece from Canadian aid, where they got little to no use in storage. If you want to see some in the raw, there are a bunch available in Europe at Euroarms ex-Italy (Canadian aid in the original boxes) Unfortunately they are not going to export them to the US.

Here's the site-

http://www.euroarms.net/EFD/index.htm

And a very odd # 1955 date-

http://www.euroarms.net/EFD/LB-55-3L748.htm

·
Gold Bullet member
762 Posts
Unfortunately they are not going to export them to the US.
When did you hear that?
My info about 6-9 months ago was that no dealers wanted to import them because of the price. The Italians would have been glad to export if their price was met.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
When did you hear that?
My info about 6-9 months ago was that no dealers wanted to import them because of the price. The Italians would have been glad to export if their price was met.
My understanding was that they would make more money selling them in Europe and were not interesting in sending them to the US, whether deals with the US fell through or not I am not privy to - but that they would not get exported to here. I didn't mean to insinuate that they have some prohibition on exporting them here.

·
Registered
108 Posts
All of my 1950 LB's are in excellent/mint condition. My last 50' like yours was still packed in grease. In fact I've never seen one that wasn't in a lesser condition.

·
Gold Bullet member
896 Posts
A Canadian friend of mine was at the importers in Toronto when the NATO Reserve No. 4s came back to Canada. Apparently the rifles went from the production line into the crate and sent to Belgium to be held in reserve for NATO. They were not unpack until they were returned from reserve and disposed(surplussed off, or sold) about 30 years later. That is why they look so good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There should be a small '6' stamped on the bayo lug. Actually quite collectible. These tubes were tooled using Bren Gun barrel facilities thus the 6 groove barrels.Highly sought after bty target shooters using soft skinned match grade projectiles such as the 174gr Sierra Match King. Very nice example however he pale wood suprises me. I'd expect the wood to be much darker. Do the numbers match? If not then obviously the wood is not original.

Congratulations on your find. One does not see them very often.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
They should also be stamped on the knox form Mk3.

I have one on a 1949 with no bayo lugs. Breech up date on barrel is 1949. Why no lugs?

It's an RCAF match rifle.:)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wood is definitely canadian walnut and lucky me, everything matches. The lighting and background (vintage cardboard) do make it appear lighter than it is. I've been looking for a good match grade bullet so I appreciate the comment on the Sierra Match King. Worth giving it a wack in my Ross MKII commercial match rifle and the No 4 I set up for target work. I have a nice PH Twin Zero sight in the spares bin that I picked up cheap on Epay and restored (bubba had cut off the mtg "ears" for the No4). I've been waiting for a good candidate to mount it on and I Think that this C No4 might be the perfect choice.
I'm at work as I type this so I'll have to wait until I get home to check out the knox form for the "Mk3" stamp. Thanks so much everyone for the info. Explains a lot. Exactly what I was looking for!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
After reading this post, I just went to the safe to look at my 1950 Longbranch No4. It's also a 6 groove barrel. I was looking for the 6 on the bayonet lugs, but cannot find one. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the "knox form"? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The knox form is the flat part of the barrel just ahead of the receiver. On the No4 you have to remove the rear handguard to see it. My guess, but the flat surface probably made for a perfect place for inspectors to stamp marks. That and the fact that the knox form is located such that it faces up, making it easily accessible for visual inspection (I have an odd duck No 4 MKII barrel that bucks this and has the knox form flat facing 10 o'clock when the extractor groove is aligned. Looks funny but shoots great!).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts