Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the IAA forum, a Polish collector has displayed Polish TMs regarding the
Polish acquisition of 50,000 brand new P14s, and 50 MILLION rounds of Mark VII and other special ammo for the rifles, Lewis Guns, and Vickers
Obtained from Britain in 1920.
Eventually, once Polish Mausers were available,( by 1930) the Poles sent these rifles ( about 48,000) to the Baltic States; some remained for Police use and training.

These were part of the Baltic States armoury captured by the Soviets (1940) when they annexed the Baltics, and the P14s (both the Polish and original Brit.-Baltic supply) ended up with Workers Militia units in the Defence of Leningrad (Lake Ladoga Ice Road) and Moscow Tank traps (1941)

Poland also imported special ammo for Aircraft use from both Britain and France.

Check out the thread.

Doc AV

BTW, the Polish Language Tech Manual (1921) is exquisitely done ( the Poster sent me a copy...my Polish is very Basic, but the Illustrations help a lot...). Not everything was destroyed by the Soviets and the Nazis in 1939 and WW II.

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Are you able to post the thread, or should I know from mention of the IAA? Nikolai Obryna's memoir discusses Worker's militia receiving Polish BARs, and Merridale's Ivan's War makes mention of some kind of black police uniform...

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just go to IAA Forum, it is an on-going thread, Photos of Polish Reservists 1939 shooting at Targets with P14s, other Documents on the Special Ammo for Airforce, Posted today.

Doc AV

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Thank you!

Looking forward to more discussion of it.

historical firearms.info had a very interesting bit on simplified rifles, ca. 1941 whereby the P14 might be simplified into a sort of cottage-workshop "last ditch" rifle a bit like the Sten "machine carbine" and with a simplified stock and so on for the very many Lewis guns employed...
https://www.slideshare.net/tcattermole/british-army-lee-enfield-no4-and-no5-rifles

·
Registered
381 Posts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.