Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All-

I was at a local gunshop and they had a #5 Jungle carbine for $369. It seems a little steep to me. Is that a fair price? I didn't look it over really close, but it seemed to be in good shape. It was a recent CAI import.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Pete

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
$369 is not terribly out of line and depending upon condition it could be a real steal. Just be sure that it is a real No5 and not a cut down No4 Mk I

·
Copper Bullet member
694 Posts
Yea, you have to be careful. I stopped at a pawn shop out of town few months ago. Saw a No.5 on the rack and I asked him to let me look at it and it turned out to a No. 4 that had been cut down. He was some what upset when I showed him the difference between the two. He paid $400 for it and thought he had a real No.5.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
Yea, you have to be careful. I stopped at a pawn shop out of town few months ago. Saw a No.5 on the rack and I asked him to let me look at it and it turned out to a No. 4 that had been cut down. He was some what upset when I showed him the difference between the two. He paid $400 for it and thought he had a real No.5.
I know of at least one such gun in an auction right now described as a No.5. Big giveaway is the rectangular piece on the receiver just below where the bolthead sits when the action is closed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Certainty re No 5s

It is possible to convert a No 4 to look like a No 5. Easy, in fact. I have seen such conversions, cunningly clothed in rough furniture to discourage closer examination. The advantages are the heavier barrel and less vigorously lightened action. They shoot good.

I have even seen a no 5 fitted with an SMLE barrel. This resulted in two extractor cuts, as the SMLE barrel thread registers 180 degrees differently to the No 4/5 barrel. I put that one back on the rack.

However, I have never seen a converted No 4 No 5 with the lightening cuts on the knox. These cuts are a sure sign of a genuine No 5 barrel, at least. Sadly, the only way to check this requires the removal of the top hand guard. Vendors are unenthusiastic about people taking to their precious goods with a screwdriver - silly, when it may guarantee a sale.

$369 a bit steep? How badly do you want a No 5? Consider my mantra: "they are not making them any more". Millions of SMLEs and No 4s were made - only about 250,000 (exact figures not to hand) No 5s. And some collectors/enthusiasts have more than one (guilty).

And a wad of cash is not as much fun at the range. (BANG, BANG, BANG, ho, ho, ho...)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have seen 2 No 4 that were set up with No5 barells and stocks,I was told this was done in Sinapore by armourers on quite a few but was never oficialy senctioned,somone that was there might be able to shed more light on this,both the examples i viewd were brought back by men serving in Malaysia

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.