Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the most accurate 5.45 ak, or similar, and how does it compare to an ar in 5.45.

Let's hear what you have experience with. Using milsurp of course.

·
Administrator
3,443 Posts
My Bulgarian 74 is a tack driver. I also have a S&W 5.45 AR15 that key-holes and patterns all over the place. It's out being re-barreled right now. Hopefully it will improve.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which Bulgarian (assuming there are more than one) and show a picture of it. I've heard of the 5.45 key-holing and read that since the 5.45 bullet is longer that the twist has to be tighter like 1-7. Do you know what your old barrel was at?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I have two Bulgarians that are very accurate. They have original military barrels. One of them is on par with my Bushmaster M4 using surplus ammo and the other will shoot circles around it.

Edit: Most of the keyholing issues that I've heard about had more to do with bores that were not the correct size (diameter), rather than just the twist rate.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Mike O, if what Joop says is correct maybe you could get that old barrel slugged and also the new one just to see if there is a difference.

I currently have a Huldra carbine (Adams Arms) piston ar-15 and have about 1000 rounds of ammo with maybe about 35 rounds through it. The rifle has no ftf or fte and is extremely accurate too. The 5.45 ammo is less than half the price of 5.56 so that's why I am chasing this ak74 thought.

If I could get a good deal for mine I'd probably go with the 74 but it has to be relatively accurate. I'm not even interested in the 7.62x39 either.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Mike O, if what Joop says is correct maybe you could get that old barrel slugged and also the new one just to see if there is a difference.
If you search the net on this topic, you can probably find a lot more than what I could tell you (possibly even in this forum, alone). There got to be a lot of barrel variations for the various offerings in this caliber and I kind of lost track over the last couple years. One thing is for certain, though. You can't go wrong with an original military barrel, or a gun from Arsenal (I'm not really an Arsenal fan, at all, but their barrels won't give you any trouble).

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
There is no "most accurate AK" it goes by individual basis. I dont have an AR in 5.45. But my Bulgy 74 held its own in a Hi Power match I went to a few months ago. i beat a guy who was using a Swiss K31 and the winner was a friend of my who was using his VEPR74 with TWS peep sight. Other rifles included the Garand and a M14

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
The 5.45 keyholing was from early Century 5.45 AKs with US made barrels. Apparently with the test ammo Century used they were OK, but not with anything else. if you buy one you need to try it at a couple different ranges because the bullets yaw back and forth and at the range when they're flying straight make nice little round holes.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,717 Posts
Milspec ammo in a milspec barreled Bulgarian AK74 or a Wz88 Tantal is 3-4 MOA and sometimes better. I find the Smith A Wesson AR15 upper to be a bit more accurate in my experience but this may be attributed to ergonomics and sights as much as anything. The 7N6 milsurp ammo is a limitation on accuracy as well.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I actually think 7n6 is one of the more accurate surplus rounds out there, but it is by no means match grade. I have found out of my 5.45 AR it can hold 2.5" groups consistently, I also hear people say it is dirty but I don't think this is true either. I have a pretty high grade barrel and the hand guard is free floated so I think these are definitely contributing factors to accuracy.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,717 Posts
Yes., the 5.45., like the 5.56 is inherently a bit more accurate than x39 in my shooting experience. Though 5.56 high quality ammunition selection is much more available vs milspec 5.45 etc.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The most accurate 5.45mm is an AR-15 upper from Ballistic Advantage or S&W. Unfortunately the latter is no longer produced. Either will outshoot my Romanians, CAI Bulgarian, Tantal, and Russian Saigas. Using commercial N/C that is, in the 55--60 grain range.

Sold off a couple of the AKs after running the 5.45 uppers. Just ME, others may differ.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts