Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded for this rifle 6 years ago. Friend used it in military matches. Has a shiny 5 grove barrel and very accurate. Imported from SA. Partially scrubbed U and arrow on receiver ring. SAN buttplate. Have listed it on pg 11 of the database. If you have 18L2931, I have the stock. Please excuse the Garand sling.

Unusual or unique for this receiver\stock mix? Both appear to be Spring 1942? Is this walnut? Any thoughts of metal clean-up - removing suncorite. Many thanks for commen Svg1.jpg Svg2.jpg Svg3.jpg Svg4.jpg ts/input.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Traded for this rifle 6 years ago. Friend used it in military matches. Has a shiny 5 grove barrel and very accurate. Imported from SA. Partially scrubbed U and arrow on receiver ring. SAN buttplate. Have listed it on pg 11 of the database. If you have 18L2931, I have the stock. Please excuse the Garand sling.

Unusual or unique for this receiver\stock mix? Both appear to be Spring 1942? Is this walnut? Any thoughts of metal clean-up - removing suncorite. Many thanks for comment
Why do you want to "clean it up?" Early not Mk1* Savage is on the rarer side. Is there any indication of FTR work, or when the stock was put on it? Bolt/receiver match? I would leave it be and enjoy it.

Reactions: DisasterDog

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. No indication of FTR. Bolt matches. Just followed up on learning about suncorite. Will definately leave as is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think I missed the mark on suncorite. Looks to be a paint. Did a small test area and removes easily.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Suncorite does not remove easily.
An early Savage rifle wouldn't have had it originally. But, it may be correct for its service life. Hold off on doing anything in haste.
Its not new anymore and the stock is likely a replacement at one time or another.

Its also very common for people to run with the notion, "Oh, they traded parts so it's OK!". The easy way out if you ask me.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Just oil the metal & call it a day. South African rifles are quite desirable, as are the early "no star" Savages.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Snowbound: Nice rifle and, as DD says, oil it and enjoy it. The original Savage metal finish was, I believe, a type of parkerizing called "Du-lite" and it's possible yours may still have that beneath the paint. My own "no-star" Savage No. 4 is much rougher and has a mismatched bolt but I still treasure it. have you carefully counted the grooves to make sure it's not one of the 6-groove barrels? Mine has one of those and it shoots rather well in spite of being lightly pitted.

Ruprecht

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. Metal will remain as is. It does appear to have 6 groves. Removed the rear handguard and the barrel has matched SN. Would guess a forced stamp. Also SA crossed rifle and arrow. Really enjoy shooting this one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some followup questions and pictures regarding barrel. It is definately 6 grove with a right twist. Front sight is also marked S just above the bedding.

Is it Canadian and could it have been original install or SA replacement?

Is what appears as a flattened rubber/leather washer behind the front sight some sort of minor bedding technique? Its very dry.

Thanks

Svg5.jpg Svg6.jpg Svg7.jpg

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
The barrel is South African, guessing 6.64 is probably the date.

The rubber washer is probably some form of bedding, I'd guess to keep enough tension on the upper handguard so as to prevent it from sliding forward (and impacting the front sight base) under recoil.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
26,702 Posts
They did trade parts, but not serialized stocks. That has got to be a replacement after service life, in my estimation.

Suncorite does not remove easily.
An early Savage rifle wouldn't have had it originally. But, it may be correct for its service life. Hold off on doing anything in haste.
Its not new anymore and the stock is likely a replacement at one time or another.

Its also very common for people to run with the notion, "Oh, they traded parts so it's OK!". The easy way out if you ask me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts