Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I am now seriously on the hunt for a 49-56 bayonet and need some advice. Are there some worth more than others or "more correct"? What should I be looking for or does it not matter?

Thanks,
Motor

PS: I should have got one 2 years ago seems they have gone up in price. :(

·
Registered
953 Posts
Here are the two different types. The type 56 and 58 for the MAS 49/56 series of rifle. Notice the different type of blade.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The type 56 is has great collector value because it wasn't made in as vast quantity because it was replaced with the type 58. If you just want a bayonet for your MAS rifle, the type 58 is a good addition for your collection and it is easy to find.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Moe, Makes sense too. Even though I didn't know about there being 2 types before it seems like I saw more of the model 58s. I've been looking at them for at least 2 years now.

Motor

·
Registered
953 Posts
I apologize : type 56 is in the bottom, type 58 on top. I would have taken a better picture, but this is one I previously took. Notice the difference in the top of the blade from the type 56 and 58.

·
Gold Bullet member+
French Issue APX L806 scope sets SOLD OUT
1,265 Posts
I have several Early Type 56 Bayonets for sale ......

The French produced two different bayonets for the MAS 49/56 rifle.......
The MODEL 56 [as in 1956]....and the MODEL 58 [as in 1958].....

The MODEL 56 has a much longer double edge blade and a metal scabbard to match the shape of that blade with a brown or green leather frog.......
This model was produced only two years 1956 and 1957.....while they are not exactly rare they are much more scarce than the model 58 bayonet.

The MODEL 58 has a much heavier blade with a rather short double edge and the metal scabbard also matches the shape of this blade and usually has a green leather frog.......
[A Model 56 bayonet will fit a model 58 scabbard.....and a model 58 bayonet will NOT fit a model 56 scabbard]
The Model 58 bayonet has been produced since 1958....and continued [with a modified scabbard] thru the FAMAS rifle series....and run of some 56 years!!!!

The FAMAS 5.56mm rifle uses a model 58 bayonet....however the FAMAS scabbard is made of a plastic material with a green canvas frog.......

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...-Mags-Sling-Boot-Covers-BoltParts-FAMAS-Items

email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
982 Posts
Poignard-baïonnette modèle 1956 type 1 et son fourreau, mounted on the "fusil semi-automatique de 7, 5 mm, modèle 1949-56 ou F.S.A. 49-56", (7,5 mm M1949/56 self loading rifle).

Roughly 40.000 of these bayonets were manufactured, so, quite collectible ! ... ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.