Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently picked up a 46M-B serial number 13515. All original but no British marks at all. What is the story on those that apparently didn't cross the pond?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pictures please. I have never seen a 46M-B but own a 46M(b). The M(b) was made in 47-52 if my notes are correct and came with a S-130 peep sight. One of the things that make Mossbergs so interesting is that you never know what pops up. I also have a couple 42M-B s which have serial numbers. With a serial number I would expect they were issued as a trainer or shooting club firearm. The exception is of course Canadian firearms were required to be serial numbered when the registry came in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, my bad. I meant 42M-B. Just shot my 46M(b) yesterday and had it on my mind. I do know that serial number 13515 was among those (10,001-18,000) that were delayed while the rifles received their serial numbers. What I would like to know is what became of them. Were they used as trainers state side, not issued, etc? This one has the metal butt plate and the S-102 barrel sight. Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The early batch had the S-102 rear sight but later ones didn't as the government took them off anyway. As I said earlier - things pop up that make Mossbergs interesting. It may just have been overlooked or re barreled. Usually there are proof markings, mostly both British and US but I understand some times just one or the other. Also some were issued to the Home Guard. The first batch were done in a hurry and I suspect issued in a hurry. Are there any other marks on the firearm? The serial number is usually on the barrel and on the receiver. Proof marks are small and if light stamped hard to see. Keep us posted if you find anything out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. U.S. Property marks on barrel and receiver in the usual locations. Both are identical. No other markings other than the usual Mossberg inscription on the barrel. It was complete with the cover on the bolt and detachable sling swivels. The adapter screw for the magazine was in the butt plate compartment. The seller didn't even know it was there. Good bit of cosmoline in the stock when the barrel and receiver were removed. The barrel was full of dust, but is nice. The stock smells of cosmoline as well. Shoots nicely but does not eject each time. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
75 Posts
One other mark to look for is a "PH" under the barrel. You are probably aware that Parker Hale stamped the ones they put a PH16D peep sight on to replace the #4. One of mine has it the other doesn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. The only marks under the barrel are A and in a different location W. Appreciate the advise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts