Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone had any problems with .45ACP conversion cylinder from Howell for Pietta Remington .44?
I reload five gr. Trailboss with 200 gr. cast. using NEW brass. The new unloaded brass drop in the cylinder no problem.
Problem is the loaded bullets have a hard time fitting into the cylinder.
So I passed the loaded bullets through the sizing die again, now they drop in and out of the cylinder , no problem. Shooting is very accurate and lots of fun. Just have to have that extra step of resizing the loaded bullets. (twice)

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Out of curiosity, have you tried factory loads in the cylinder just to see how they fit? Wondering if the cylinder itself is a tad tight. If so, then a chamber reaming might alleviate the problem of having to rework the loaded case.
For now, if it works an your happy with it.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, new ACP ball ammo, fits, both forward and backward, drops in and out, I wonder if .44 cast will work in .45 ACP cases and maybe that will solve the problem.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
45 acp is generally .451/.452 while 44 lead is typically .430. That's quite a bit to make up in obturation.

It seems like the cylinders are OK so you'll need to focus on your reloading techniques. I'd start by measuring current bullet diameter vs. one which has been pulled following the second pass.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It sounds to me like you need to remove the flair from your cases. There are a flew ways to remove the flair. Remove the decapping pin from from your sizing die and size the loaded round just enough to remove the flair. I have Lee dies the seating die can be adjusted to taper crimp. A light crimp will do it. You can seat and crimp at the same time or in two steps. Or you can buy a Lee Factory Crimp Die. I have a 45 ACP FCD i normally remove the flair with the seating die. By the way i shoot the same 45ACP trail boss load in my SA 1911-A1 a very nice load to shoot and accurate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts