Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that the early .45 acp ammo for the Colt M1905 had a 200 grain bullet. Then for the 1911 the bullet weight was increased to 230 grains which is still standard for military ball ammo, and the power charge increased to today's standard. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone ever seen a cartridge box marked "For Colt M1905 Automatic? I have asked this question on another ammo section of this forum and have received no response. Best Wishes to all.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I have been told that the early .45 acp ammo for the Colt M1905 had a 200 grain bullet. Then for the 1911 the bullet weight was increased to 230 grains which is still standard for military ball ammo, and the power charge increased to today's standard. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone ever seen a cartridge box marked "For Colt M1905 Automatic? I have asked this question on another ammo section of this forum and have received no response. Best Wishes to all.

FWIW, I recall reading the same thing years ago.
It was long enough ago that I don't positively recall where I read it, but I think it was in the American Rifleman.
Did you try to google up something like "history of 45ACP" or similar words?
It's pretty amazing what you can find by making minor changes to your wording.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.45 AC Pistol Ammo

After taking the above suggestion, I found the M1905 .45 ammo. It was loaded with only a 200 grain bullet, for those of you interested. When I got my Colt M1905 .45, I just had to shoot it. I used 185 grain semi-wadcutter target ammo. It functioned perfectly for 7 rounds and then I retired it from shooting.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
After taking the above suggestion, I found the M1905 .45 ammo. It was loaded with only a 200 grain bullet, for those of you interested. When I got my Colt M1905 .45, I just had to shoot it. I used 185 grain semi-wadcutter target ammo. It functioned perfectly for 7 rounds and then I retired it from shooting.

I think you are wise to retire it.
In the same article I recall there was at least one case of a slide being cracked by modern ammo.

No reason to look for trouble, AFTER the mandatory try out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.