Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first post here and I am hoping to get some help with a 44US(b) I picked up last year. cleaning it one day, I noticed these marks on the bolt body surface that hits the bolt handle: https://imgur.com/a/E5Kc61W

It seems to line up with the curvature of the bolt handle section it hits. I had put ~200 rounds through it at this point, with an unknown previous owner round count. I haven't shot it again since then.

Does anyone else have similar marks on their bolts? Or know if this means the body is cracking?
I've been shooting high velocity 22 through it (stuff like american eagle, aguila, cci mini-mags, etc), should I stick to standard velocity?

Unfortunately, my pictures from when I first got the gun didn't include this particular angle so I can't tell if this was there when I acquired it :( let that be a lesson to other newbie collectors out there! Take lots of pics when you first acquire your gun

Otherwise it's been a superb shooter and I miss it at the range. Looking at everyone's beautiful rifles here definitely make me want to get it sorted out! and making me want to pick-up another one haha

Anyway thanks for reading and for your time

·
Registered
674 Posts
While I have a few Mossberg 44's I can't imagine a bolt cracking from the firing of .22lr rounds. I have some markings on my bolt but they seem to be from a poorly fitting bolt body or a dragging safety. No cracks. While these guns are very good accuracy wise, fit and finish on them is not the greatest. My. Mossys tend towards American Eagle 40gr (federal) or CCI SV and CCI Blaser.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I don't believe it's cracks, but what Pak stated, workmanship. think about it, this is all the way back of the bolt, about as far away from the chamber as you can get. how would you get cracks all the way back there from shooting a .22? even if it's HV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts