Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Range test on three rifles today, SIG M400, PSL54C Romanian. '44 IZZY PU
Elevation:3300ft
Temp:65
Humidity 36%
Wind [email protected] 3-5 MPH from my 4pm
AMMO BULGARIAN 147gr silver tip all rounds weighed between 22.5g-22.8g (on an aside I have RUSSIAN save 2 shells it iwas 21.9g, 440 of them
Distance on targets shown 100 and 200 yards laser measured.
All bench rest shoots
The M400 has a 20 dollar NCstar 4X on it.
THE PSL54C has a KALINKA AK47 9X fixed 1000m range finder
The PU, what else?
I circled groups as well as I could right after the shots, I am sure I messed up a few. The PU top right corner and the center rings were right at the end, my shoulder was giving out. That PU has a bit of a recoil on a previous broken collar bone.

Surprisingly the NC star scope worked fairly well, I had trouble with the mount coming loose, but after that the groups were really tight, for me. The SIG M400 failed to feed 3 X with Remington 55gr. The magazine wasn't letting loose for lack of a better word. I was really there to shoot the 7.62X54 the M400 was warm up. This is one nice rifle for 800 bucks

54C It took me several rounds to get used to the Kalinka scope. There are several rounds that are off, I don't now where I was going wrong I think it was the hold I am not used to the reticle. But I got to where I could get a fairly tight group out to 200 yds 15 second between shots. I did try some follow ups who knows where they went.

The PU. What can I say? It is more comfortable to shoot because of my neck being broke years ago. I had trouble getting the scope right, POA is right on the tip of the point of the center post and that point is small. I tried to see the front sight globe to put the scope over CB, but that wasn't happening. I settled for making sure the horizontal were absolutely straight. When they were n ot the thing shot all over. VERY PICKY. I shot all over with it for several rounds, then I started to get the hang of the scope, a Leupold MKIV it is not. The rifle started loosening up, I think it has a way to go, and the groups started really tightening up. I can do better I haven't been out in a few weeks.
The squares are 1in x1in all distance was laser measured.
So I was totally wrong...it is a PU and a pretty darn good one. THANKS, GUYS, FOR SETTING ME STRAIGHT.

Williams

·
Registered
468 Posts
Awesome shooting. The PU seems to like those rounds.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I was a bit skeptical about posting the targets, those groups look really good, as good as the PSL and the NEW SIG. The board member that I got my PSL from (stand up guy hope he won't see that) he sent the ammo. SILVER TIP 147gr Bulgarian.
Know why the groups look so good? It's a new rifle, found out after I got it home to clean it. There wasn't that much cosmoline on it and it was "go to the range yesterday or a bell tower today." Home was getting a bit trying.:angry:
The only thing that is original on this rifle is the middle 5 in, the recv'r. Barrel, trigger, ejector all have new bluing marked IZZY. The poor thing is so worn out that the recv'r trigger pin hole is to big. I cheated a bit and changed the trigger, that helped, but that pin hole is going to have to be welded. That wobble was irritating.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
at 200yrds you got yourself a VERY NICE PSL - seriously, I could never shoot anything like that out of 2 I tried and got rid of. with a Dragunov (TIGR) I currently own I can do great groups but I have not thought you can actually shoot that well with a Russian surplus out of PSL, let alone 200. Great shooting. Bulgarian silver tip is usually Russian steel core relabeled for Bulgarians.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't think many people would believe the targets, I should have filmed it. They look way to good to be true, but they are. It took me 3 hours to do it, the PSL is a really good rifle, actually all three are. The M400 was my first time out with it.I think a big difference was weighing the mil surp ammo. There wasn''t that much deviation, but maybe that 1/10th of a gram made a difference. I am not that good of a shot, it just looks good, I missed what I was aiming for. My groups are fine, I guess, but with both Com bloc rifles I was hitting low left, no matter what I did. I am doing something wrong, consistently, but wrong. And I can't see the target with the PU I was aiming at a position on the target, like aiming at a button, 2 down 1in left. You can't see it, but you know where it's at. The very tip top of that PU scope point was the cross hairs, I focus on it. I don't know I've been shooting since I was 7,mI don't think about it anymore, squeeze and hope.

Shooter by trade. Patriot by birth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.