Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question about a Simpson-made .44 / 11mm Nagant I'm looking at purchasing. I've always been under the impression that the large-caliber Nagants were Brazilian, I've seen a few that were Brazilian-marked. This one, however, is being sold as Argentinian, did Argentina purchase them as well?

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Yes, the Argies bought some that were reportedly chambered for a slightly different 11mm cartridge than the Brazilian guns. If I recall correctly, the Argie cartridge used a 22mm case while the Brazilian used a 21mm case and a lighter bullet.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see. Any surefire way to tell them apart, or do all the Brazilian contracts have the Marino Brasilien (going by memory here and I don't speak Portugese, so correct me in the likely event that's wrong) mark? Were any issued to the army?

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I don't know about the markings other than the Navy. According to Brazilian military historian Adler Homero Fonseca de Castro, some of the Nagants were rebored to handle the .44 Henry and .44-40 cartridges for issue to police and cavalry units who used M66 and M73 Winchester carbines. He also told me that in the 1940s some were rebored for the .45 ACP.....although they were never issued.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. What were the production dates on these? I've been thinking about bringing one into Canada, and if it's pre-1898 it's an antique on both sides of the border, making the whole process significantly easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts