Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Love 303 rifles, no4T and No1Mk111 HT, also mausers.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Winchester 1892 sporting rifle with the full mag tube, chambered in 44 WCF. Serial number puts it to being made in 1909. I bought it for not many $aud as the person selling it thought there was a projectile lodged in the barrel. Turns out it was a hornets nest. When I stripped the whole rifle down, I cleaned years of old dirt, dried grease and crud out of the action. The barrel has an erosion ring where the mud was and I feel it would be bad enough to start stripping lead off projectiles. It looks like it needs a new barrel. I considered getting a Redman liner fitted, but after some searching, believe the round barrel is not thick enough to allow complete drilling for the liner.

Replacement barrels are hard to find around here, but I have been offered a Rossi octagonal stainless barrel and mag tube. The Rossi barrel has the 19mm x 1 barrel tenon thread and the Winchester is 13/16 x 20. The Rossi barrel does screw in a few turns and doesn't feel loose. I've been told that a die nut in 13/16 x 20 can be run over the existing thread to convert it to suit the Winchester thread. I'm not sure if this will give a good enough result to be safe to shoot. Someone else suggested Devcon steel putty can be used to build up any difference in actual diameters between the threads.

Has anyone tried this? I hope that someone can give me a few pointers here.

Thank you

BCD

·
Registered
138 Posts
Usually a ringed barrel will not affect accuracy, especially a slow moving close range bullet like the .44-40 in my experience. I'd test shoot it with the old tire trick (afix the rifle in a tire and a string to the trigger and hide behind a tree). FWIW.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I'm not an experienced machinist. I'm not even an inexperienced machinist! I am someone who always considers the "X" factor, in common sense context... "Murphy's Law!" Sometimes the vastness of proper barrel change, better than the half-vast improper one!
Just my take! :)
Best & Keep Safe!
John

·
Registered
Love 303 rifles, no4T and No1Mk111 HT, also mausers.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys, Thanks for all of your very informative responses, I really appreciate the help and ideas. I had my concerns about the smaller tenon being rethreaded. It just didn't sound right. I'm not even a machinist's thumbnail compared to others here. I'll pass on the barrel offer and either just try it at the range to see if it can pattern on a target. Meantime, I'll just keep looking as I really would like to keep a genuine Winchester barrel on the old girl.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.