Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, maybe a stupid question. I have a Winchester 1892 saddle ring carbine 44 made in 1914. I noticed when chambering a round, it feels very tight. I know on my modern lever actions (straight walled case) 44 mag and 357/38 drop right in the chamber. Is this normal? I did notice my dads Rossi 92 44-40 is about the same. It gets super tight about here. Thanks
Office supplies Writing implement Automotive tire Wood Bullet

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just a thought here, I wonder if the bullets are contacting the lands at the end of the chamber? Maybe chamber a round, extract it and look closely at the bullet? Better yet, smoke it with a candle. I've run into the situation in handloads following recommended overall length measurements. I've had on occasion needed to set the bullets back a few thousands.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Where he showing the bullet is not even close to throat. Either bad /damaged chamber or bad ammo.
My guess the reloads are the problem.

Factory 44WCF rounds should drop and rim bottom out on chamber mouth. Should be clearance between chamber and cartridge body .

1892 chambers have two issues that can arise , the extractor slot edge and ejector slots on bottom have a knife edge to chamber mouth .
If that edge gets damaged chamber mouth can be distorted.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Williams cartridge “factory reloads”
Try a factory round.
A 'Factory Reload' may not be properly resized.
You never know what their brass was fired in before they reload it. If the case hasn't been sized all the way
down to the rim to bring it back to a factory chamber spec, it could be too fat and hang up going in that last little distance.

If you suspect the 44-40 throat/neck is a bit on the small size, use a Factory 38-40 round to check just the base end of the chamber
The smaller dia bullet and neck will by-pass any 44-40 neck & throat and just give you a reading on wether the chamber base is accepting a factory cartridge or not.

Check that chamber mouth edge at the extractor cut as suggested already also.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Where he showing the bullet is not even close to throat. Either bad /damaged chamber or bad ammo.
My guess the reloads are the problem.

Factory 44WCF rounds should drop and rim bottom out on chamber mouth. Should be clearance between chamber and cartridge body .

1892 chambers have two issues that can arise , the extractor slot edge and ejector slots on bottom have a knife edge to chamber mouth .
If that edge gets damaged chamber mouth can be distorted.
You realize that it doesn't have to be the throat that stops the cartridge? A bullet .004" over nominal diameter will expand the case neck accordingly. If the chamber neck is on the tight side, that .430" bullet may expand the case neck too much to chamber properly. I have an 1873 that won't chamber a round loaded with a .430" but my Rossi 92 will. My SAA won't chamber a .430" but my S&W 544 and Ruger Vaquero will. They aren't hanging up in the throats.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I took a sized case and worked in in and out of the chamber a few times and it got easier, now a round drops in pretty easy. Maybe there was a burr at the extractor slot?
Is the case scratched now from the bur or did it clear it up altogether?

As long as it chambers fine, no need to do anything else but check some more to see if they chamber

1 - 14 of 14 Posts