Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Diamond Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 43 Tula on a hex receiver a few weeks ago. Typical arsenal refurb. Pulled the barrel and receiver out of the stock to see who made the receiver. There was no arsenal stamp on the tang but a 29 over stamped with a 43. Has anybody else seen one one like this?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,826 Posts
91/30

i have never seen such. seen one numeral overstruck on a couple of 91s,as i recall. so, you have a 29 hex receiver overstamped 43. are there any factory markings anywhere? what about the top receiver flat? eagle? scrubbed eagle? no evidence of anything ever being done to the top receiver flat? picture of receiver would be great. IMHO,a very interesting rifle. congrats on that.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
Tula typically restamped the tangs when they used an old receiver. There should be a star over the 43, but often they are faint or run off into the screw hole.

I believe the receiver was originally made by Tula. There are only two options from 1929, Tula or Izhevsk. Izhevsk typically used a four digit date and Tula a two digit one. By 1929 the Tula mark should have been a star, but the hammer might have still been used on the tang. Maybe this one was right in the transition and they didn't use either, or it's just very faint.

Here are some of mine and a few others. http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareSovietEarly.htm

·
Gold Bullet member
2,705 Posts
Picked up a 43 Tula on a hex receiver a few weeks ago. Typical arsenal refurb. Pulled the barrel and receiver out of the stock to see who made the receiver. There was no arsenal stamp on the tang but a 29 over stamped with a 43. Has anybody else seen one one like this?
I just got a 1943 Tula 91/30 hex reciever. Tang has the bow and arrow and what looks like
a tiny date with the last 2 numbers partially overstamped with what looks like part of a star.
Hammer and sickle in wreath on top reciever flat with the number 9 in a triangle stamped
just below it, toward butt. Barrel has really rough lathe turning marks on outside, almost looks like a couple of tiny "steps" like 98k Mauser but perhaps 1/4 as "stepped" as Mauser.
This rifle has 2 stars on the bbl shank, the large Tula star in the usual place and a much smaller star between the serial # and the top reciever flat.

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
guitarzan, Where did you get that wild background in the pic?

·
Diamond Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are no markings on the receiver at all that I can find except the CIA billboard. The flats are very smooth so it may have been scrubbed but there are no remains of any markings. I'll take a few more photos and try to post later

The photo background is this months Boys Life Magazine. I'm a scoutmaster and father of an Eagle Scout and another that is just three merit badges away. It's popcorn time, buy some BSA popcorn and support your local troop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts