Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what I believe is a 43 Spanish cartridge and i'm trying to identify the maker.
The headstamp has an H on the top with an MX on the bottom. On the left side is a 2 and on the right side is 81, for Feb 1881.
I don't recall ever seeing a 43 Spanish cartridge like this one. The bullet is a round nose copper jacketed bullet, it is not a Reformado. What do I have?
Any help appreciated.
Paul

·
Registered
66 Posts
cartridge ID

I doubt seriously that you have a .43 Spanish cartridge. I have never seen one loaded with a jacketed bullet. Slight possibility that it is a reload but I kind of doubt that too. The Reformado was a brass washed pointy bullet. A couple of photos and all the measurements would be a big help in a proper ID. Those Headstamp numbers will be handy when you get the cartridge caliber determined.
Old Man

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Old Man,
These are the measurements.
Rim .635
Base .521
Neck .458
Case 2.246" long
OAL 2.856"
I can't get an accurate measurement of bullet diameter.
I can't take pictures, no camera.

I just found more info in Barnes COTW second edition that states that Spain earlier used an 11mm cartridge that had a .454 brass covered bullet. COTW second edition info is different from COTW seventh edition that I checked earlier, very confusing.
Paul

·
Registered
508 Posts
The measurements are a very close match to the 11.15x58R Spanish Remington cartridge. Gevelot & Gaupillat of France made contract military ammo in that time period.The headstamp used Mx.If I`m wrong someone will correct me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The measurements are a very close match to the 11.15x58R Spanish Remington cartridge. Gevelot & Gaupillat of France made contract military ammo in that time period.The headstamp used Mx.If I`m wrong someone will correct me.

I think you hit it correctly mariko. A photo from Busco40 would confirm or send us on another hunt for the right one.
Take that cartridge to someone with a digital camera and have them post a photo on Photobucket for us. Post the link here and we can take a closer look at it.
Old Man

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mariko, I believe you are right. I found an 11.15X58R Spanish cartridge and they look identical except for the brass clad bullet and it is the same size and shape as the lead one. All the measurements are within a few thousandths of an inch. I got this cartridge several months ago and the seller said it was a Reformado. When I compared it to photos of a Reformado it didn't look anything like one.
Thanks to everyone for the help.
Paul

·
Administrator
9,469 Posts
11mm? Spanish remington or Reformado??

The original 11mm Spanish Remington was the typical 43.Rem with distinctly bottle necked case one sees in Latin American Rolling Blocks

The "Reformado" ( of Cuban Span-Am war fame) was a Spanish development, which converted the Bottle necked cartridge into a Long Taper cartridge, to increase Powder capacity. The projectile type was also improved, with a "brass wash/Thin Jaket projectile design.

"Reformado" in Spanish means, " renovated, Improved, refurbished,"

The later (Spanish) produced RRBs (I have a 1882 Oviedo) were either converted to the new chambering ( by reaming) or made new as such.

The geniality of this "improvement" was that older, Remington profile ammo could be still fired safely in a "Reformado" Chamber (But NOT, vice versa.).

Correctly, the "Mx" part of the headstamp is typical on Cartridges made by G&G of France, for Export ( already seen on 11mm Gras for Greece and Macedonia, and several other "Balkan" States.)

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
386 Posts
I've seen these cartridges for many years refered to as "11x57R Bulgarian Berdan", but most everyone says that this name isn't really correct. I've never really understood if anyone knows exactly what or who they were loaded for. They seem to sell for quite a bit, but on the other hand I see them fairly often. I would have thought that I would have seen a box by now but no such luck..........

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hendere
This one had something written in ink on the side of it at one time. A fragment of the first letter is all that remains of it. I think it was the letter"B".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts