Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this silly grin stuck on my face for a couple of days now - since FINALLY getting my restored "43 Iz. PU out to the range for the first time since completing restoration.......yeah, that's the one I have posted for sale a couple of times on this board due to "serious illness" etc etc etc. Well things have "stabilized" abit with illness deal so have been able to be "out and about" more which feels just great - AND am doing some shooting again.
Found the rifle to be dead nuts accurate at 100 yards, despite a makeshift bench rest and surplus ammo. Took just a couple of very slight scope knob adjustments to get "zero" [a huge relief after all those hours of filing/fitting and laser bore sighting!!!!] - final five shots were tightly clustered in 10 ring - #5 shot drilled the 1 1/4" bullseye dead center. I'm going to try some good commercial ammo next time out, and use the 200 yrd. lane AND a real bench rest.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
try reloading for it, my restored 1943 izh pu really shined once i started reloading for it and i got the same feeling after i shot my first 3 shot 1/2" group with it. you cant explain the feeling when it shoots that good. i also like you instantly felt the over a year project was worth it

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,088 Posts
Well it's good that you didn't have to sell your rifle after all. That's a very interesting stock by the way with that Soviet finger joint repair and those little "character" nicks all over. Beautiful color too. No doubt that PU saw some genuine action!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the kind words. And most definitely yes - I'm SO relieved it didn't sell; it was literally breaking my heart to try and part with it.
IE your comment about reloading "pacomdiver"; one of my shooting pals has set up his new Hornady "Lock and Load" progressive loading outfit in my gunroom!! His idea was that on days that I don't feel up to "going out", I can certainly sit in the comfort of my funroom and pull the handle, for "therapy" of course - turns out he's right, it IS good therapy!! .45 Colt, .45acp, .357mag, .44mag - I'm getting to be quite the ammo loader! He and another pal are getting dies for .223/5.56, .303Brit and now of course I'm definitely considering 7.62x54r.
Odd thing - perceived recoil from this scoped rifle seemed to be noticeably less than my previous M91/30's shooting the same surplus ammo?????? Weight of scope setup or just my imagination?

·
Gold Bullet member
3,077 Posts
Glad to hear you got her to the range; thats one sweet looking PU with the spliced stock. Those stocks don't turn up all that often. Also glad to hear your health is improving, hope you have many more good days at the range.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
if you decide to start reloading x54 to squeeze out the accuracy drop me a pm or check out my albums for my load recipes to use as a starting point

my wife swears her m44 recoils less than her 91/30 so i think alot is mental

1 - 10 of 10 Posts