Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been (not very) patiently waiting for my first PU sniper from a non-sponsor and it's not everything I had wished for. I paid extra for special condition and it shows lots of nicks and finish loss. The bore is very good though. Also, I did have to remove some surface rust with never-dull. It is a typical heavy refub. Molot import. All stamped matching, but you can see the parts were all scrubbed and renumbered.

I think the scope is a '43-'44 Krasnogorsk.

The thing that I'm confused by is that I thought all '43s would half the half-liner front SSE and no liner rear? But this '43 has pressed SSE. Was that added during refubishment?

Input appreciated. Questions, comments observations please. :) Thanks.

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Yes the stock is a later style replacement. Let us know how she shoots.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,881 Posts
I'd be pretty satisfied with that one, actually, with what you said about the bore.

As Vic said, the stock is a later replacement (either a '44 or possibly a postwar refurb stock-I honestly can't tell for sure from the pic). As far as sling slots on '43 stocks, I've never seen other than half liner front/half liner rear on original '43 Izhevsk PU stocks. One member here said he had one with half liner front/no liner rear, but I think that's a rarity (and perhaps even a non-PU stock that was "adapted" during refurb).

EDIT:

The stock is '43 Tula.
Or that. :laugh: Tula PUs seem to have gone straight from screwed in escutcheons front and rear to pressed in sometime midwar.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was my fault, I left out that nugget of info. Thanks for the clarification Ol' Relic.

Sorry for the awful pics. I just got home and she was waiting on me.

The stock has no toe splice, but is does have the big square early type cleaning rod lug.

The stock is Tula, and so is the rear sight leaf. It has an earlier deep notch Tula leaf. She's a mix-master.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have another '43 Izhevsk ex-PU. I was comparing the shanks, and serial numbers and realized something is odd about my ex-PU's stock.

Do you see what the laminated stock does not have?

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,881 Posts
Ding! Ding! Ding! I have a few 91/30 laminates. This is the only one without a wrist crossbolt. Maybe they missed it? Is that uncommon?
Dang, I must not be very observant. I've seen a few laminates that didn't have it, but IIRC, most of them were the more "blonde" color finish. But maybe that was just coincidence. :confused:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang, I must not be very observant. I've seen a few laminates that didn't have it, but IIRC, most of them were the more "blonde" color finish.
I was doing some looking and found some M38 laminates without it. I'm sure it's not super rare or collectible, just noticed it after having it for a while. The ex-sniper actually has a better bore, it's friggin' clean! Also, a Molot import.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,088 Posts
I'd be pretty satisfied with that one, actually...
Ditto. And I'm quite fussy in terms of condition and overall presentation.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pretty nice looking rifle. Take some blo or old English and touch up the scuffs on the stock if they bother you.
I was thinking of doing a BLO rub, but I wasn't sure if thats cool to do with the shellac. Also, I don't know if if crosses the Bubba line. I think an Archangel stock would fix the problem. Just kidding. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts