Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some opinions on PU scope mounts. I have a 1943 Izhevsk ex-sniper barreled receiver. While reading the sniper section of MosinNagant.net, I learned that in late 1942, early 1943 the Soviets made a few changes to the PU system on the 91/30 after finding the SVT to be inadequate as a sniper rifle. In looking at the three producers of PU mounts, Accumounts, Kalinka, & IO Inc., they all pretty much look alike.

So...since I am going to be restoring the ex-sniper, I am hoping to get some guidance as to which of these 3 mounts is the most faithful in material. manufacture, and design. I already have a scope, so I will only be looking for the best mount set.

Also, are there any specifics I should look for in a correct stock for that year. I already discovered that I will need one that is inletted for a straight tang, rather than one that is stepped. Is anyone aware of any other specific attributes I should be looking for.

TIA!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,568 Posts
PU mounts, stocks etc.

I have resnipered several Pu's in the past. I was fortunate to be able to obtain original and postwar mounts and scopes a few years ago. They are very hard to find now. I am not all that familiar with the reproduction mounts out there, but have some knowledge of Accumounts products. John Zhu (Accumounts) has fine products and gives great customer service. His company is the only one that makes the PU mounts in different hole spacings to accomodate the variences in the pu drilling pattern.You can measure your screw holes center to center and order an appropriate mount from him. Stay away from the alloy bases and mounts. Bad juju. They are not up to the stresses that the PU system produces. As to the stock, I believe you would need a late war stock with the stamped escheutchons. Is your barreled receiver newly refurbed and blued, or a more original one with worn blueing? The choice of a stock will depend on the presence or lack of patina on the metal parts to look correct. Also the buttplates are of different lengths, due to the stocks being refurbed and sanded. It would be good to have several 91/30 stocks to choose from to match up with your action. Restoring a exsniper to its former glory is a very worthy endeavor, I think. Good luck!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad you reminded me of the varying hole spacing. As soon as I read that I remembered reading about that issue in another post recently so that will definately narrow down the choices...aside from the fact that he he is a sponsor! As for the stock...I actually have several stocks I can use, though all but one are inletted for the stepped tang. Would it be unusual - or for that matter even noticable - if I were to modify one of those stocks to accept the straight tang receiver?

Thanks

I have resnipered several Pu's in the past. I was fortunate to be able to obtain original and postwar mounts and scopes a few years ago. They are very hard to find now. I am not all that familiar with the reproduction mounts out there, but have some knowledge of Accumounts products. John Zhu (Accumounts) has fine products and gives great customer service. His company is the only one that makes the PU mounts in different hole spacings to accomodate the variences in the pu drilling pattern.You can measure your screw holes center to center and order an appropriate mount from him. Stay away from the alloy bases and mounts. Bad juju. They are not up to the stresses that the PU system produces. As to the stock, I believe you would need a late war stock with the stamped escheutchons. Is your barreled receiver newly refurbed and blued, or a more original one with worn blueing? The choice of a stock will depend on the presence or lack of patina on the metal parts to look correct. Also the buttplates are of different lengths, due to the stocks being refurbed and sanded. It would be good to have several 91/30 stocks to choose from to match up with your action. Restoring a exsniper to its former glory is a very worthy endeavor, I think. Good luck!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,568 Posts
Stocks

You can certainly modify a early stepped tang stock to fit a later action, not a problem. You just can't go back, once the wood is removed, its gone! The later stocks seem to be easy to find, and the early type are less common.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can certainly modify a early stepped tang stock to fit a later action, not a problem. You just can't go back, once the wood is removed, its gone! The later stocks seem to be easy to find, and the early type are less common.
Good point, Thanks!

·
Registered
802 Posts
The Accumounts scope mount/base is cast steel and the scope is a "modern" type where the recticle stays centered. Same goes for the Kalinka set-up. The I.O. Ukrainian made scope package has a milled steel base/mount and a scope that is made like the original WW2 scope set-ups. For authenticity the I.O. Ukrainian made scope package is the better one. BTW, if you use an Accumounts base with a milled mount it will likely not fit correctly as the ball area is not to specs on the Accumounts base but you can fix it. I have restored 8 ex-snipers and used one Accumounts and 2 of the I.O. Ukrainian packages and much prefer the Ukrainian set-up.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Accumounts scope mount/base is cast steel and the scope is a "modern" type where the recticle stays centered. Same goes for the Kalinka set-up. The I.O. Ukrainian made scope package has a milled steel base/mount and a scope that is made like the original WW2 scope set-ups. For authenticity the I.O. Ukrainian made scope package is the better one. BTW, if you use an Accumounts base with a milled mount it will likely not fit correctly as the ball area is not to specs on the Accumounts base but you can fix it. I have restored 8 ex-snipers and used one Accumounts and 2 of the I.O. Ukrainian packages and much prefer the Ukrainian set-up.
Having read similar comments about I.O.'s setup before in passing and now yours, sounds like experience is indicating that the Ukranian built mount is the way to go. The hole spacing on my receiver is 54.5mm center-to-center on points of the plugs. Will that present an issue with the I.O. Ukranian mount setup?

Also, I already have a scope, though I'm not sure if it is a repro or not. The finish on it is very good, so I suspect it is a repro. but I don't know how to tell the difference, even after reading Sturm's guide. It's kind of cloudy though and I need to address that, but that's a subject for another thread (how to open that scope, etc) I guess.

Thanks for input and guidence...it has been and continues to be a HUGE help in BOTH my sniper projects!

·
Registered
802 Posts
All the Ukrainian bases I have seen have 55.5mm hole spacing so you would need the 54.5mm base that Accumounts sells. It can be filed to correct the out of spec fit at the ball area. Post a picture of your scope so we can see what it looks like. If it has flat headed screws on the turrents or an N4 prefix it's a repro. BTW, you can just buy the Ukrainian base/mount set w/screws and pins on e-bay.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All the Ukrainian bases I have seen have 55.5mm hole spacing so you would need the 54.5mm base that Accumounts sells. It can be filed to correct the out of spec fit at the ball area. Post a picture of your scope so we can see what it looks like. If it has flat headed screws on the turrents or an N4 prefix it's a repro. BTW, you can just buy the Ukrainian base/mount set w/screws and pins on e-bay.
So long as I can get a strong, well made base and mount that isn't going to fail and will be as close as possible to being accurate, I will be happy. In either case, I will be supporting a board sponsor so how cn it be bad?

Here are a few shots of the scope. It has rounded screws, which I guess is a positive sign. The other part is, the person I got it from said he got two from a family member and that they had been stored it an attic since sometime between the early 50's to early 60's. The only issue with the scope and I knew this when I traded for it, was that it is cloudy, which I will have to deal with at some point.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Outstanding!!!

You have a very nice original WW2 scope.
I knew it was authentic, but didn't, know what I mean? Thanks for the confirmation! Now, how to fix the cloudiness...:confused:

Any suggestions?...were these scopes nitrogen filled, where ANY scopes nitrogen filled in that era?

TIA

·
Registered
802 Posts
So long as I can get a strong, well made base and mount that isn't going to fail and will be as close as possible to being accurate, I will be happy. In either case, I will be supporting a board sponsor so how cn it be bad?
Then Accumounts would be a good choice and John does stand behind his products. And yes that's a nice WW2 scope. There have been other who have had their scopes worked on but I can't remember who did the work so do a search.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts