·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
14 Posts
While I am not a fan of the Manlicher stock. That is a very good looking rifle. How good does it shoot?

·
None of your business.
17,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice rifle with real history..US marked and a huge broad arrow to boot. What is the rest of the story?
The rest of the story? Found it in my gun smiths shop. Was missing a front swivel, still have the adjustabe rear peep site. Really have no idea where it came from. Smithy said someone just brought it in one day for sale. Said he had picked it up "years ago". Didn't know how long ago that was. But the marks could be an indicator.

Picked up the scope and mount at a Cross Roads show here in Phoenix. There's a guy that just sells Mossberg small bore rifles and parts.

Gary

·
None of your business.
17,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I am not a fan of the Manlicher stock. That is a very good looking rifle. How good does it shoot?
It shoots very nicely:D That's why it a favorite of my junior shooters. They hit what they shoot at.

Gary

·
Registered
493 Posts
In the fifth photo from the top, on the right is crossed lances. If you can indicate the letters on the left and right, I can tell you the year the rifle was proofed. Disregard the number at the bottom. This would be a good indication as to when the rifle was released from the British military for commercial sale.

·
Silver Bullet member
37,972 Posts
I have one of these as well, only with the original peep sights, I guess a lot of them went over
as trainers.

As you can see, mine has the stock cut down but retains the original front and rear sights.
The rear sling swivel is from an SMLE!

·
Registered
27 Posts
46MB

I have one of these as well, only with the original peep sights, I guess a lot of them went over
as trainers.
!
The only 42M models that were trainers were the 42MB (MB both caps) these were ser.
#'d , stamped US PROPERTY and the stock had no cheek peice. a nice peice of US history. I have one stamped 1947 also.must have been a release date. I've never seen that arrow /chicken foot?? (third pic down), filed into any before? Anyone with any input on what thats about? --JMJ--

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is the British broad arrow. It denotes British military property.
Gonna have to dig mine out .I have two (maybe three) with Britt proof marks and i don't recall that arrow.Too many Mossbergs... the last one I got had sentencing marks on the stock. It ttok awhile to find out what the paint dabs were all about. If your a NMCA member you would have seen that one in the newsletter with the article on the lend lease mossbergs.--JMJ-- If cross posts are allowed here is the last one with the sentencing marks.http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154371&highlight=42MB+paint+dabs

·
Registered
493 Posts
To: mossbergman

Your Mossberg was proofed at the Birmingham Proof House. The use of the Crown over BNP began in January 1955 and I believe it continues to be used. If you can find a mark on your barrel that is crossed lances with letters on either side and a number beneath, if you advise me what the letters are I can tell you the year your rifle was proofed. This would give you an indication when your rifle was released from the military for commercial sale. There were no British proof marks on your rifle while in military inventory, only the broad arrow indicating military ownership.

·
None of your business.
17,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
None of your business.
17,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
None of your business.
17,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am unable to make out the letters on the left and right of the crossed lances on the barrel, near the receiver, in the first photo. Can you advise what they are?
Looks like "L" "B"? Would this mark be anywhere else on the rifle?

Gary

·
Registered
493 Posts
To: rocker98

The "L" and "B" marks found on either side of the crossed lances indicates your rifle was proofed in 1960. The mark is referred to as a Birmingham Proof House Private View Mark. It is a commercially applied mark, as are the other marks including the Crown over BNP which is the actual proof mark. The markings are applied only to the barrel except for the Crown over BNP which may possibly also be found on the receiver and bolt. 1960 is most likely the year when your rifle was released from military inventory to the commercial market because British law requires commercial proofing of arms within, I believe, ten days.

·
None of your business.
17,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The "L" and "B" marks found on either side of the crossed lances indicates your rifle was proofed in 1960. The mark is referred to as a Birmingham Proof House Private View Mark. It is a commercially applied mark, as are the other marks including the Crown over BNP which is the actual proof mark. The markings are applied only to the barrel except for the Crown over BNP which may possibly also be found on the receiver and bolt. 1960 is most likely the year when your rifle was released from military inventory to the commercial market because British law requires commercial proofing of arms within, I believe, ten days.
Thank you! :D Does the number on the bottom mean anything? It appears to be a 5 or 6.

Gary

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.