Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Before all the kafuffle with the forum, you may remember I started a thread about the loose handguard on my #5 MK1. Well the problem, courtesy of the damp Nova Scotia air has disappeared. I wonder if it will still be tight sometime in February when it's minus 40? regards marmaloon.
If temperature and humidity have a significant role in the fit of the handguard, I will expect that your handguard will be loose again in February - interesting point. Do report your experience.

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
Guess what the Armourers used, Linseed oil and manila paper ;)

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
When the Enfield stocks were made they were dunked for one half hour in hot pure raw linseed oil and then allowed to drip dry. Try re-oiling your stock with RLO it might absorb enough oil for the hand guard to fit tightly again.

Also thin strips of folder paper or automotive gasket material between the fore stock and hand guards will tighten things up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just picked up a No. 5 and as I was cleaning her up I found a manila colored waxed paper about 1/4 inch wide folded 3 times stuck between the rear of the handguard & top of the barrel shank. I've noticed this on other military arms as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts