Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i have been lurking on this forum for a little while and have a question about a Mauser i recently bought. It is a RC with a 1939 receiver with the "42" (Mauser Obendorf right?) manufacturer code. Is there any way i can tell if was manufactured before September when the war started? Would it be considered pre-war or early war?

Thanks

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
I don't know, but what the heck is the "flaming bomb" mark doing on the receiver?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello,

The 'flaming bomb' is a proofmark of a fire weapon tested in Belgium but made elsewhere. The 'L' stands for Liège, the city where the proofhouse is located.
Normally the receiver, barrel and bolt are marked. The calibre is marked near the end of the muzzle.

Regards.

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
How did it get proofed by them, I have not seen or heard of this?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello,

I don't know the correct procedure for testing a fire weapon in the proofhouse of Liège. I assume they test shoot it a few times and if it's ok they stamp it with the 'L' on the parts mentioned above. That's in very short the procedure to have a registrated and proofed foreign fire weapon.
Maybe a more experienced member in that matter from Belgium can give you more details about.

Regards.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thx for the info guys.
As Azrael said, all imported weapons have to pass the proofhouse in Liege to be 100% legal. I believe it's also a matter of security: you don't want to wind up with less limbs than before you shoot the weapon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.