Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've owned a couple Enfields in the past but never a shotgun conversion. Well here's one I got with a few other rifles. I have seen a few Mauser/shotgun conversions but never an Enfield. Are there many here who collect these or is this an odd ball. As you can see its loaded with cosmoline still. Thanks in advance to all who answer.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
That's an earlier one in a pre-1951 forend. The 410's were used for things such as guard and riot/crowd control duties. Some were rechambered to use the US style 410 plastic shotshells. If one of those doesn't fit in yours, then it's still chambered for the original 2.2" brass shotshell. Easy enough to make by fireforming new 303 British brass.

·
Banned
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply JB. I searched the internet and found a few things about it, including the original .410 and that some were reworked to use ours. Also the riot control theory. Odd that a single shot .410 would be used for such. Why not just change the magazine to accommodate .410 shells? I do not have .410 shells here to check unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Thanks for your reply JB. I searched the internet and found a few things about it, including the original .410 and that some were reworked to use ours. Also the riot control theory. Odd that a single shot .410 would be used for such. Why not just change the magazine to accommodate .410 shells? I do not have .410 shells here to check unfortunately.
In a riot situation where the policeman could easily be overwhelmed if his 'rifle' was lost it would only discharge the one round - the rioters would not have a multi-round magazine.

This is also (apparently) the reason that a 'special' 410 ( 303 cartridge) was used that was only available to the police / military - ie the rioters could not go pre-armed with 'standard' 410 cartridges looking for a rifle'.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
A simple conversion for intended purposes vs. reengineering a rifle made for bottlenecked cartridges to an arm intended for a shorter straight walled, blunt nosed cartridge. Single shot is the easiest and most economical when doing thousands of them.
When these first came into the US, a few had successful results modifying them to take Saiga 410 AK-style magazines. The trend didn't catch on for various reasons.

Also, keep in mind that India was rife with political and religious upheavals throughout much of its history. Following the Sepoy Rebellion in the 1850's, it was decided to arm elements of questionable loyalties with lesser arms than the first line government troops carried. That line of thought carried on for over a century and in some ways, still does today.

**** And what Allen said :)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,590 Posts
DTE over (W) is the mark of the Indian Weapons Development establishment. Lovely clear stamp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.