Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend bought this Enfield today by beating me through the shop door ! An early 41 Maltby # D14185 , it's been FR/FTR'd at some date but no markings. Very nice 2 groove bbl ( probably original early 2g ) Bolt is later assy forced match with cross flags ep'd, Mag is a Savage forced matched. Forend is walnut & is a magazine cut-off type #'rd to rifle. Butt and HG's are beech. Has later flip site. Late type front site protector. Looks like it has been painted at once ( suncrote ? ) but didn't seem to stick to well to the nice orig type finish underneath.

·
Registered
144 Posts
In the words of Borat "very nice".

cheers,
Lachy

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just had a look at the pics and before you shoot it you need to get the top handguard back off the front sight block. You can do this by tightening up the outer barrel band and if that doesn't work , whack some fine cardboard under the band to make it tighten up. Sometimes you can't move the handguard by hand but when fired under recoil it moves forward and once it touches the front sight block, it will throw your group out to buggery.
Seen a few scratch their heads when it happens but it is a easy fix.
Besdides that it's a very nice looker, nice pearling in the wood, but get a Mk1 sight and fit to it. We are no longer shooting at humans who jump and run about everywhere ;)
Cheers
NED

·
Banned
904 Posts
quick and easy fix

for the sliding front handguard thingy....take off the front band...on the REAR edge of the band at the TOP bend down the edge about 20 degrees or so...for a distance of about 1/4 inch...(use an adjustable wrench while the band is held in a vice)

Assemble the front band again, making sure that the bent portion you have made is at the rear, or facing the action...then position the 'bend' so that it locks into the cut out metal portion on top of the front hand guard..stops the guard from moving forward.

Popular target shooters trick here in Oz in years gone by....call me a 'butcher' or 'bubba' if you like, but it works.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are pics just home from the shop as is uncleaned, I know all about the HG deal.

As for restoration or changing sites, doing that would ruin the history of this rifle. I'am not a big believer of " Restorations " be it Garands, ______ or Enfields; You can make a rifle " right " but in the end it will always be " WRONG ".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts