Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
57,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a nice 41ae conversion for a hi-power,
complete slide assy, and 2 mags,
slide and parts are from a portugal gun, no idea who made the barrel, it is marked 41AE (w/red paint in the engraving)
mags are stainless, w/ 41AE engraved on the base

my google-fu is not very strong, I can only find threads that are old, or w/o any prices,

any help is appreciated!!

i also posted this Q on 1911.org (hipower section) and another forum, with no answers yet,

·
Administrator
17,706 Posts
I haven't seen any 41 action express ammo in maybe 20 years. It just never made it since it had to compete in the market with 40S&W. I'd buy it as an unusual curio if it was really really cheap, but I wouldn't count on much of a chance to shoot it. I believe you only need the barrel and magazines anyway, since the cartridge base is the same as 9mm so the slide and extractor would be the same as a regular HP.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
I've heard there can be extraction problems because of the rebated rim and that some extractor mods are often required, but I have no first hand knowledge. The 10mm (a .40) in full and reduced power loadings stopped much interest from developing in the .41 AE, then the .40 S&W killed it off before it could really get started.

Wikipedia
History
The .41 Action Express (41 AE) was designed by Evan Whildin, vice president of Action Arms, in 1986.[3] It was based on the .41 Magnum case, cut down to fit in a 9 mm frame, and using a rebated rim. The .41 AE is a very attractive cartridge in many ways, as the rebated rim allows a simple barrel and magazine change to allow many 9 mm guns to be converted to .41 AE.

The powerful 10 mm Auto cartridge, which had been suffering from poor acceptance from its start in the early 1980s, was eventually accepted by the FBI in a reduced power, subsonic loading. Smith & Wesson then decided that the 10 mm Auto was too much cartridge for the reduced power loading, and that the .45 ACP sized guns that chambered it were too heavy and bulky; out of this came the .40 S&W, a shortened 10 mm Auto case, designed to fit in a 9 mm sized gun, with a reduced pressure loading that allowed a lighter, easier to shoot gun. Because most ammunition manufacturers backed the very similar .40 S&W, there was little use for the .41 AE and production of both firearms and the ammunition itself was soon phased out.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,580 Posts
If it works, it's a keeper - likely for sale because it runs poorly. I'd be hesitant to buy someone else's headaches.

Take a look at Glock, or Springfield Armory for a .40 S&W. Either would be money better spent, and either one will be reliable, accurate and fun to shoot.

Otherwise, reassemble your Hi-Power in its' original 9mm form, shoot it, clean it and love it as it was built.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
57,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it works, it's a keeper - likely for sale because it runs poorly. I'd be hesitant to buy someone else's headaches.

Take a look at Glock, or Springfield Armory for a .40 S&W. Either would be money better spent, and either one will be reliable, accurate and fun to shoot.

Otherwise, reassemble your Hi-Power in its' original 9mm form, shoot it, clean it and love it as it was built.

thanks for the input

item is for sale, as an estate, no contact with the original owner,

everything appears in good working owner, and i have been asked if i do not want it to try to sell it, (along with a bunch of other stuff not hi-power related)

just trying to find some good infor on what it may be worth, how they were etc, etc

still on the fence about it, whether to buy it for myself, as a conversation peice etc, or to sell it, either way it comes w/98 loaded rounds (50 factory samson and 48 reloads) and 50 rnds new brass, but no dies

hi power parts are quite expensive, from what i have seen, just the parts to make the kit are as expensive as a good used hi-power,,

thanks again for the info,
any idea what this type of thing is worth?

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,580 Posts
thanks for the input

item is for sale, as an estate, no contact with the original owner,

everything appears in good working owner, and i have been asked if i do not want it to try to sell it, (along with a bunch of other stuff not hi-power related)

just trying to find some good infor on what it may be worth, how they were etc, etc

still on the fence about it, whether to buy it for myself, as a conversation peice etc, or to sell it, either way it comes w/98 loaded rounds (50 factory samson and 48 reloads) and 50 rnds new brass, but no dies

hi power parts are quite expensive, from what i have seen, just the parts to make the kit are as expensive as a good used hi-power,,

thanks again for the info,
any idea what this type of thing is worth?
No clue about pricing, but in light of this being available in an estate sale & not just something for sale by a weasley seller trying to foist off some junk to an unsuspecting pigeon, I withdraw my previous comments indicating that it may be a crapshoot.

If the price is right & you've no problem rounding up a supply of ammo, Go For It:D

·
Platinum Bullet Member
57,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No clue about pricing, but in light of this being available in an estate sale & not just something for sale by a weasley seller trying to foist off some junk to an unsuspecting pigeon, I withdraw my previous comments indicating that it may be a crapshoot.

If the price is right & you've no problem rounding up a supply of ammo, Go For It:D
that's just it, no idea what the right price is,

i may just have to put it on my Tseries, and shoot a mag, (to make sure it works, and because i am just too damn curious!) so i can sell it in good conscious,

however the little devil on my other shoulder is saying buy it for yourself,,,,,

decisions decisions,

eta, thanks !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts