Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a gun show yesterday, and on the way home visited a number of little out-of-the way places. I found a VERY interesting rifle, it's a .405 Winchester bolt-action with a heavily modified Mosin-nagant receiver. The Imperial eagle is still intact on the top hex flat, and I'd LOVE to see the tang date. The bolt handle has been tastefully bent and swept back too, this is an OLD conversion, and very well done. I'm considering buying it but the shop hadn't priced it yet. Whoever made this rifle had a LOT of time on their hands, the magazine well has been cut and re-welded shut on the bottom, it's now flush with the underside of the new stock. I've never seen anything like this before. I'll post more information after I contact the owner next week.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Man, GET it if for no other reason that that was one of Pres. Roosevelt's favorite calibers! Sounds like an awesome piece. I'm curious if it was a round-barrel, or if the converter went ape-wild and put an octagon barrel on it. Now THAT would be sharp!

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
I wonder if the case head dimensions meant he didnt have to modify the bolt head for the conversion? Need to check cartridges of the World the next time I am at my brothers house.

regards
badger

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If memory serves, the .30-40 Krag (with its rim diameter of .545") has about the same cartridge head dimensions as the .405 Win. There were several cartridges around that time that were developed by Winchester from the same base cartridge, just necked down to whichever size for the bullet. Unfortunately, I don't have any of that information at hand, and am relying purely on my faulty memory... :/

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
I checked and the 405 Win would work but the rim and case head diameters are about 20-25 thousandths less than the 7.62X54R.

regards
badger

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
SOTG, the barrel is round on it, I'll be calling the owner tomorrow morning.

*UPDATE* - I spoke to the owner this morning, he said *IF* he decides to sell it he's asking $400.00 for it. He wants to shoot it before deciding.

Too rich for my liking, but I might try to take a few photos of it next time I'm in the area.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If it was a well-done conversion, $400 seems just a hair steep, but not unreasonable. It'd be worth $400 no-questions-asked if it was an octagonal barrel (a la Sharps) IMHO.

Also, to add to my previous statement, the Krag rounds had a rim diameter of .545" and the 7.62x54R sports a rim diameter of .576" making a difference of .021" By all rights and reasons, it should work plenty smoothly. I can't think of a reason it wouldn't.

·
Platinum Bullet member
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll see what I can do...

this weekend, maybe run up there and see if they've priced it yet, and if they'll let me take a few photos.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I agree $400.00 is a bit much. But it does sound like a really neat rifle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts