Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a #4 Mk1 with cheek rest and original scope, mount etc in excellent condition from the estate of the vet who brought it back. In the collection are photos of the vet with the rifle and paper work to get the rifle back to the states. Can someone please tell me approximately what is the value on the open market for this rifle. Completely out of my relm of collecting. Thanks

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Unfortunately its a bit like saying I'm looking to buy a Ford how much should I pay.

Condition, make, year, scope and accessories will make a huge difference It could be $3,000 - $7,000
Close up pics would help confirm its authenticity and value.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,884 Posts
I'm interested to find out a little more about the 'vet who brought it back'. Such action by a member of HM Forces could have resulted, even at the time, in a 10-year jail sentence.

Getting one stolen off you is even more unlikely.....story, please.

tac

·
15,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Tac, the gentleman in question was a member of the US forces and obviously didn't care much about regulations of that sort. I found out what I wanted to know, and will gladly pay the $1200. the hiers want for the rifle. If they are kind enough to include the photo I might even post it. Perhaps the GI won it in a poker game. Thats about all I know about it. Be fun to find out how it shoots. I will guarantee one thing if when I come into posession of the rifle and associated doccuments I happen to find out who the Brit was that originally carried it, no one is going to know.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Well...good luck. Considering that a fake (plenty of them out there), depending on how well done, could be worth less than half of $1200, fake papers are a dime a dozen, and a picture of a GI holding a rifle could've come from anywhere, I'd want to come up with more info for those who's realm of collecting the rifle does fall under, if I were to go asking for advice.

It's your money though.

·
15,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thank you fellers, allways a pleasure to come up and visit but the air is just a little too chilly for my old bones at this altitude. (Thin too). Nevermind I'll just show my self the door. (Thank you Bones, much appreciated)

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Well Tac, the gentleman in question was a member of the US forces and obviously didn't care much about regulations of that sort. I found out what I wanted to know, and will gladly pay the $1200. the hiers want for the rifle. If they are kind enough to include the photo I might even post it. Perhaps the GI won it in a poker game. Thats about all I know about it. Be fun to find out how it shoots. I will guarantee one thing if when I come into posession of the rifle and associated doccuments I happen to find out who the Brit was that originally carried it, no one is going to know.
There's an old saying: "Buy the gun, not the story." and this story is full of holes. (I am the second ex-member of HM Forces pointing this out.)

·
Silver Bullet member
5,884 Posts
My old pal beerhunter, and I, are both ex-British military, with between us, prolly about sixty years service. The very thought that ANY British soldier, especially a sniper, being in a position to have 'lost' his No4[T] in a poker game is, not to put too fine a point on it, utterly ludicrous.

Having been pursued by the quartermaster in one of my previous units for eleven years for failing to hand in a £1.90 item of webbing issued to me on a course in 1978, I can tell you that the only way that you would part a British soldier from his issued weapon is to kill him. Believe me, he would rather be dead than go through the shame of a court martial, a custodial sentence, and dishonourable discharge that would be the result of what your story alleges took place. Y'see, unlike the US of A, where a piece of paper with a signature on it can obsolve the looter of any wrong-doing when he acquires a foreign weapon whilst on military service, the UK has not now, and never has had, anything like it. A UNIT might obtain a battlefield trophy of some kind, and believe me, the paperwork for that usually outweighs the trophy, but not any individual person. You may have noticed, or then again, maybe not, that UK laws on the illegal ownership of firearms are both draconian and long-term.
My point is that IF this is real then the British or Commonwealth soldier to whom this rather special rifle was entrusted should have been in a world of pain, not that we would ever know his name.

So, like it or not, this story sounds like a crock of sh1t to me.

tac

·
15,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tac, Listen carefully....All I asked for was a price spread low to high as to how much the rifle is worth. All the rest of this stuff is pure mental masturbation. Thanks any way. PS, Nice train set.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Tac, Listen carefully....All I asked for was a price spread low to high as to how much the rifle is worth. All the rest of this stuff is pure mental masturbation. Thanks any way. PS, Nice train set.
Buy the gun not the story just like it was said. A question like this with no details pictures or credits can't be answered well so you got equal value for your question. Biting the hand that tries to help is also counter productive. 4201 posts and you don't know these things also says a lot. These are good folks here and I'm sure your welcome to try again.
Cheers
..MJ..

·
Banned
11,735 Posts
Gents, he's just asking for a reasonable value. Why does everyone assume that he couldn't possibly have what he describes? Do we think that we know everything there is to know, and that unusual circumstances don't occasionally pop up in this hobby?

Just answer the question. If the rifle is a fake, that's for oldgoat to figure out.

tacfoley2, you brought up the same argument about the "bring-back" SMLE I posted about last year, claiming it could not have brought back by a US soldier from WW1. Well, it was, and though I don't know the circumstances of how it came back, I can only surmise that a US Army Ordnance officer could probably have found a legit means of acquiring one to send back. Why do you assume that just because British regulations were strict concerning custody of weapons, it would be incomprehensible that some of them came back with US troops?

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
I tend to agree with Tac. Now keep in mind that these rifles were surplussed out in the late 60's. I remember seeing them for sale at Kleins Sporting Goods in chicago. It could have been purchased by a vet back then. Thats around 50 years ago.
As far as Bring back SMLE's, they were originaly issued to our troops in WW1 while they were in training for trench warfare, and the possibility of some not being turned back to the Brits is a lot more believable.
Keep in mind that we also had sniper rifles in the Big war, so why would we use the British ones that used differerent ammunition?
The estimate of the value without seeing pics is reasonable. Depends on what accessories they come with whether or not it has the transit case, and the condition.
If all original, the asking price is a BARGAIN!!!!!

·
15,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
John, never mind all the extemperanious BS, I just wanted to know what is the spread on the frikkin rifle. I found out. thanks to all and to all a good night. I don't care about the % of possibilities of spiriting it away from Mother England. Don't say it can't be done. I know different from what my Dad got away with in 1946 and I could care less about the penalties on the sodiers of His/her majisties this or that. I just asked for the value spread after all I just want to sell it and make some money. If you find fault with that perhaps you should vote for Obama. Sheesh! you guys are worse that those Dickweeds who collect Confederate swords. Bye, see ya.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,704 Posts
Gents, he's just asking for a reasonable value. Why does everyone assume that he couldn't possibly have what he describes? Do we think that we know everything there is to know, and that unusual circumstances don't occasionally pop up in this hobby?

Just answer the question. If the rifle is a fake, that's for oldgoat to figure out.

tacfoley2, you brought up the same argument about the "bring-back" SMLE I posted about last year, claiming it could not have brought back by a US soldier from WW1. Well, it was, and though I don't know the circumstances of how it came back, I can only surmise that a US Army Ordnance officer could probably have found a legit means of acquiring one to send back. Why do you assume that just because British regulations were strict concerning custody of weapons, it would be incomprehensible that some of them came back with US troops?
Bones you put your argument very well.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I hope that my remarks did not offend they certainly were not meant to. They were just to set the record straight that is is EXTREMELY unlikely that a No.4T (it it's box!) was brought back by a US Vet. It is so unlikely, in fact, as to be unbelievable.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Gents, he's just asking for a reasonable value.
Uh huh...and the "reasonable" value for a fake can be considerably below 3k or even $1200. A smelly story adds to the likelihood of fakery. The basics...

·
Silver Bullet member
5,884 Posts
I hope that my remarks did not offend they certainly were not meant to. They were just to set the record straight that is is EXTREMELY unlikely that a No.4T (it it's box!) was brought back by a US Vet. It is so unlikely, in fact, as to be unbelievable.
Well, that's what I meant, too. Just that beerhunter is a gentleman and I am not. To put the FACTS to you - a REAL No4[T] with all its bits in its own transit case is now heading for around £4500 here in UK where they are pretty common. The Scout Regiment scope by itself can easily hit £1000 here. My copy cost me £400 ten years ago.

While I have your attention, can I point out that id-ing a fake is pretty easy - there are a number of websites that advise you what to look for and the differences are not simply a matter of a couple of number stamped here and there.

By far the best is from fellow-Canuckian Terry 'maple-leaf,eh?' Warner - http://www.enfieldrifles.ca/ri10c.htm

tac

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
LMAOROTF

Goat; John, never mind all the extemperanious BS

Try again extemporaneous is the correct form.

I looked and this guy has a camera and knows how to use it well, check his WTS posts, and has posted enough pictures and told people off for lack of credited posts so I can only think he is just looking for trouble and enjoying flipping the members off now. Sad as I sent a PM and told him no harm was meant and these are good folks here so now he is just digging in for the fun of it. Reminds me of someone else long gone, but still lurking, who would get hold of a bone and never stop crying he had been done wrong no mater how unrelated a reply was.

We all like to hear of and see good things found but there some simple guidlines and by his second and third posts he is way off the hook.

Done and done.

..MJ..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.