Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a recent benefit auction, I bought two bags of miscellaneous oddball ammo for a Buck a piece! In one of the bags was a 4 gauge proof round dated April 43 and I am curious as to what kind of "gun" used this round. Was it an engine starting thing or perhaps a chimney cleaning gun. Hard to believe that it had a sporting application in 1943. Also in the bags were an 8 guage round, a 16g pinfire, a 14 ga aluminum round, a 28g proof round, a handful of 28g slugs as well as a bunch of usable mdoern ammo. The other bag had a .460 NE round, a .416 Rigby, a slew of Kynoch and German made Euro calibers, a number of cartridges that look like .43 Spanish or mauser and small amount of real long .22 centerfire rounds but I forget what they are now and am to lazy to go get them. Still very curious about the 4g round though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I came across a round like that recently and am also curious about it's origin/use.......The one I have is black with date of 1943 printed in yellow lettering on the side........it has a roll crimp with 'PROOF' printed on the top wad.......

·
Registered
66 Posts
4 ga shell

I suspect that the 4 ga shell is a proof round for the maritime flair guns in that gague. The military also used a 4 ga flair launcher in the Signal Corpse. There was no commercial use of that gague in the sporting field during that era. The Punt Guns of earlier waterfowl hunting had beeen outlawed long before then and most of those were front loaders, not cartridge guns.
I have one in an aluminum case and at one time had the flair launcher for it but parted with it to someone with more interest in breaking his wrist. That thing was a real brute to handle by a novice.
Old Man

1 - 3 of 3 Posts