Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decent pics on a recent auction but vitually nothin' for a description.
I threw in a bid and ended with this one that fortunately came with a good bolt.

I'm pretty green with the Asian stuff. Here are my questions.

1. Bayo lug is unnumbered, seemed odd, but I am sure it's right.
2. With a 20K SN, do you think this one ever had a pod?
3. No sign that the AA sights were removed, did it have them?
4. The 37th had a short production run, right?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Oh my god, where in ohio are you finding all these guns?!!! That one is absolutely beautiful. Wouldve fought tooth and nail in a bidding war for that.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Bob, to answer your questions as follows:

1. No serial number on lug
2. I would say no on the pod
3. Yes on the AA sights, as well as a DC
4. About 59K

What did you pay for it?
Get Don and Doss's book if you have not. Good primer for these smaller details.
Jeff

·
Registered
477 Posts
Very nice find!!! Wish I'd seen it first! :D

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Look at the front of the stock for signs of the monopod, I think I can almost see the marks in the first picture.

Wings, look for the springs in the sight; right at the time they could be there or not.

Really nice stock and metal finish. NIce catch.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I could swear this was never issued or was taken care of. The finish is perfect. I doubt it even had a dust cover, because there is no wear on the bluing in the grooves.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
I have one in the same condition but a little higher in SN range mine has a non pod band, and was never drilled for a rod. This series is very interesting as they moved through the change in production quickly. Just like yours mine has a light X through the mum and looks unissued. Mine also being higher in SN has a very distict stock chatter at the wrist like a 24th series.Notice the screws are double staked at 90 degrees to the slot. No AA wings correct,No monopod correct, No dust cover correct. All classic traits of the TJK rifles. Nice piece.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well my matching 37 th serial number 23547, does retain the AA arms, and matching dust cover.
I stick with my first answer, this would have had those parts on it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
Damn, that sure is a beauty! Pod base looks pristine like it never had one installed. I do see dust cover brightening in the groove above the S/N but not much. I like the way the mum was cancelled. Wish I'd have seen this one too!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I think ,Note I said THINK, It probably had AA wings and a dust cover ,once upon a time,tho at that point in production anything is possible, a close inspection of the sight should clear up if they were ever there or not.. the monopod band sure does look un-mared so I expect it either never had one or it wasnt used hardly at all, only a extremely close hands on of the wood and the band would tell for certain..Beautiful rifle tho and wish it was in my TJK group.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts