Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! Recently won my first late war rifle. Interesting enough, made in Hiroshima, possibly right before the bomb fell! Numbers matching except the safety which seems to come from rifle 6 or 9. Canceled mum, but its tastefully still there atleast. But the odd thing is some bamboo tag with a series of series marks? :confused: Front band has remnants of one it looks like. Or its just a decorative string piece.

Internals are covered in grease. Still some sawdust under the tangs! Also the front sight is noticeably canted to the right, not sure if thats normal, certainly hope it shoots straighter than it looks.

Was sold with a dust cover. Looks like a standard t38 cover to me, though its un-numbered and clearly aged.

Overall I think its a perfect late war example to complete my T99 progression series, Might try and get an actual welded safety, but this odd one looks petty rough already.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I have to say that tag looks very new and poorly carved so I guess it wasn't on there when it was picked up.

I also think that is a Type 38 dust cover. Type 38 dust covers are slightly longer, and in fact if you have a 38 on a 99 it will just beat the wood up closing the bolt.

The safety knob's knurling looks way off. Like someone messed with it, or tried to poorly replicate how it should be.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Could be a training rifle safety, it works though without any undue force. Side by side with a typical 99 safety its very obvious something isn't right with it :)

As for the tag, the characters look burned in, could be carved and painted i suppose. I couldn't find the middle character anywhere. I assumed it was a unit disc type thing a soldier did. I dont think a GI did it but who knows. I want to take it off so it doesn't get damaged at a range trip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.