Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been very interested in buying a Schofield revolver, but cant find any information on whether or not the Uberti/Taylor/Cimarron version in .38 sp will accept .357. I am relatively sure that it either wont fit or the gun isn't rated for the pressures, but i would like to make sure. The main reason i am wondering is because i would rather have it in .45 lc if .357 doesn't fit in the gun because i like it more, but if the .38 will take .357 then i think it would be nice to shoot cheap .38 sp out of it when I'm just in the mood for plinking.

Main question: Will a Uberi/Taylor/Cimarron Schofield in .38 Special shoot .357 safely?

Thanks in advance

·
Silver Bullet Member
127 Posts
It could be relevant that the .357 Magnum cartridge was deliberately made longer than the .38 Special. The reason was not powder capacity.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,439 Posts
They are not rated for 357 mag. They have the 45 Colt and they have a 44-40 version as well. But the 38 Special is strictly 38 special. So I guess you have to go for the 45 Colt. They are a great gun. I have a pair I shoot in SASS matches.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I faced the same dilemma ...
Solved it by buying a Colt SA 357mag

:) A

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It was smiling at me. Couldn't resist ...

;-) A

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,430 Posts
Two pair of Schofields
One pair U.S. model and one Russian model. (Both Uberti)
Now how many folks have heard of Merwin & Hulberts? have a pair in 44-40
I've heard of Merwin & Hulberts. Even handled (but never owned) a couple. All made by Hopkins & Allen, I think, in SA and DA variety.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,580 Posts
Main question: Will a Uber[t]i/Taylor/Cimarron Schofield in .38 Special shoot .357 safely?

Thanks in advance
This comes under the heading of 'Here, hold my beer a minute.......'

The .357Mag has three times the breech pressure of the .38 Special - does that tell you anything? :tisk: AND it's a 1/10th inch longer overall - that alone might cause a problem....

tac

1 - 15 of 15 Posts