Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Wish I could point you in a direction but I think those things are pretty scarce. Just an off the wall idea, call Jack First out in Rapid City, SD, 605-343-9544. They have all sorts of parts, maybe one made its way into one of his bins.

My Nagant came with a cylinder, that was one of the selling points for me. It's going to need some fitting, the cylinder bushing binds.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,630 Posts
Wish I could point you in a direction but I think those things are pretty scarce. Just an off the wall idea, call Jack First out in Rapid City, SD, 605-343-9544. They have all sorts of parts, maybe one made its way into one of his bins.

My Nagant came with a cylinder, that was one of the selling points for me. It's going to need some fitting, the cylinder bushing binds.

I really wonder why no one is cranking them out, surely there must be a demand.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I am sure it is just a matter of time before someone does.

Are there any good sources for the correct way to fit these cylinders. I have a .32 ACP cylinder and I purchased an extra cyclinder hand or pawl to go with it a few years ago. The best people to make cylinders would be the russians assuming they have not thrown out all of the tooling used to make nagant revolvers, with the POTUS upset with putin probably will not happen.
I have recently picked up a bit of .32S&W brass and with a wrap of paper or tape to prevent bulging they should also make some nice practice loads. Factory .32 S&W ends up with bulging of the case.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
I can't believe you are going to get any sort of consistency trying to shoot .32ACP from a Nagant. The jump before the bullet finds rifling with that combination is probably going to be pretty close to a world record (barring the Taurus Judge, of course).

Not that long ago, a couple of the online ammo stores was selling off their reloadable 7.62X38R ammunition (both Privi and Fiocci) for $15 a box, sometimes it was even with free shipping. I haven't recently checked to see if they sold out or not, but this is going to be cheaper than any fresh .32ACP you are likely to find. Might be worth a look.

I have just recently figured out how to reload for the Nagant. It is not difficult at all, and if you have a set of .30 Carbine dies, they can do double duty for you, and you wouldn't even need to invest in a die set. All you would need is a .32-20 shellholder and MAYBE a .223 sizing die to use to crimp the case mouth (my reloaded cases fit and work just fine in my Nagant without any additional crimp,

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
488 Posts
In my experience with 8 nagants and 4 cylinders, I found a combination in which both double and single action would work with one of the cylinders in four of the revolvers, but they would not cross match, ie each one worked in one particular revolver. So, fit is hit or miss.

As for accuracy, I used FN .32 acp that I've had a bunch of for years, and at 25 yards, it would keep all shots in a 10 ring of a B-27 target which was on the order of my best handloads would do with 32/20 brass and .314 hbwc bullets will do in my hands(this is standing two handed).

I was very happy with the way they shot with 32 acp.

Frank

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I can't believe you are going to get any sort of consistency trying to shoot .32ACP from a Nagant. The jump before the bullet finds rifling with that combination is probably going to be pretty close to a world record (barring the Taurus Judge, of course).

Not that long ago, a couple of the online ammo stores was selling off their reloadable 7.62X38R ammunition (both Privi and Fiocci) for $15 a box, sometimes it was even with free shipping. I haven't recently checked to see if they sold out or not, but this is going to be cheaper than any fresh .32ACP you are likely to find. Might be worth a look.

I have just recently figured out how to reload for the Nagant. It is not difficult at all, and if you have a set of .30 Carbine dies, they can do double duty for you, and you wouldn't even need to invest in a die set. All you would need is a .32-20 shellholder and MAYBE a .223 sizing die to use to crimp the case mouth (my reloaded cases fit and work just fine in my Nagant without any additional crimp,

Just sayin'.
Just saying the proof is in the pudding. It is best to have direct knowledge in such matters. There are things that definitely should not work. For many other things there is a gray area and you have to actually go out and try it out.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I recently paid 33¢ delivered for 300 rounds of fresh Nagant ammo, PPU and Fiocchi. I own a few old .32s and shoot them, and my last large purchase, some time ago, of .32 (PPU) worked out to 25¢. Not a lot of savings, but I'm going ahead with fitting my .32 cylinder because I will continue to buy .32 going forward, and since I have the cylinder I might as well use it.

·
Copper Bullet member
599 Posts
I just sold one today on the trader here on gunboards. They pop up there every now and then I've seen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
.32 H&R magnum supposedly works well in the Nagant revolver (correct cylinder), although I never tried it. Others have tried .32 S&W long. Century Arms sold the .32 acp conversion cylinder. I have one - never used it. Maybe never will.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, the Century Arms instructions for installing this says something to the effect that if it doesn't drop in properly one should take it to a qualified gunsmith (who will do what? Mill down the end of the cylinder?) My .32 cylinder's been collecting dust for over 10 years. Nice historical firearm but horrible trigger pull and painstaking cartridge loading. Bought my first one around 1999 for a little less than one hundred bucks. I'm thinking about selling all of my Nagant 95s except the one that has the lightest trigger pull.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I tried fitting mine, but the first problem is that the cylinder bushing won't fit freely inside the .32 cylinder. So step 1 is to get the thing routed out and then we can go forward to see if he needs to be adjusted anywhere else. Bubba and his Dremel will keep far away from this thing. I'm going to use a real gunsmith.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
HiFellows,

Depending on the cylinder you bought Chinese or Yugoslave. some of the sizes are in error.
I bought one & the over all size was too long. Measure the original one & the 32 replacment! Mine was .015 thou. over size. Found a flat bottom drill the correct size & with the cylinder clamped in a vise correctly. Just set depth lock & shaved a little of the inside where the spring & collar go.
Took three trys but it worked out well. I'm told some times the star is not cut correctly a little file work in the right place seems to fix that problem. I think a # of fixs were talked about years ago on this board.

Good luck,
point6

·
Registered
83 Posts
--- to which might be added that .32 acp is not cheap nowadays. The .32 swap cylinder was introduced at a time when it was almost impossible to get the proper 7.62 ammo (late 90s). Some of you will remember that 7.62 Nagant eventually became available at quite reasonable prices - which then shot up with the skyrocketing trend due to the recent gun scare. Like I said, I have a number of these pistols with various stampings (all but one of which I'd like to sell) but only view it as a historical curiosity. I would never choose to use this revolver to defend myself owing to the hard trigger pull, tortuous reloading procedure and wimpy round. It's most profound use probably involved condemned prisoners at the Lubyanka.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I reload 32-20 cases for my Nagant. Plus I picked up some of the PRVI when it was on sale. I took to reloading just to justify buying the pistol in the first place and finding ammo scarce - lol

I would agree that the gun falls more into the 'novelty' or 'historic' firearm category than one meant for regular use or self-defense. I did not buy mine for either plinking or SD, just to round off my collection of interesting, low cost surplus Russian military firearms. I have the CZ-52 and Mosin rifle as well. Both fun guns to shoot, but again there are better choices for hunting or SD.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Probably the same reason that nobody is cranking out brass and affordable dies, or even affordable ammuntion.
The demand is there, but very limited. Not enough to tool up for large scale production.
Those of us that collect Nagants and the like are a small portion of gun owning America I am afraid.
Aloha
Gordy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts