Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a top break S&W in 32 Short. I am having a hard time paying $0.75 to $1.00 a round for a box of 50. I can find all kinds of $0.35 to $0.55 a round stuff that is out of stock or on back order. Today I found a box of Fiocchi 32 Long LWC (Lead Wad Cutter) for $19.95 for a box of 50. the case length is approx the same total lenght as a 32 short. My question "is it safe to shoot in my 32 S&W"?

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Short answer...NO. Not for a Top Break Gun.

You can buy 32 Long Cases, and trim them to Short Length, and hand load with appropriate Bullet and Powder charge. A bit of a PITA, but that is the cheapest ( and safest) way for a close to (or over)100 year old Gun.

Doc AV

·
Silver Bullet member
55,191 Posts
Mag tech ammo was $ 20 a box ....last year.....I got some .....
Picking them old boxes .....with a few missing a few in the box $ 5 to 8 ....at gun shows all with rag tag boxes 38 SW ...from 1950's 60's...
No one ask about them much any more so I bundle a few boxes, and offer a set price......
Have in both about 10 or twelve boxes....and got the mag tech in a small gun shop off the beaten path....

·
Registered
204 Posts
32 long will not chamber in a 32 short, the over all length of the wadcutter loads might be the same but the chamber has a shoulder in it and will only accept the correct round. New 32's are expensive, Remington is the only brand I have seen in a while and it's anywhere from $30 to $50 a box. Sometimes you can find old partial boxes at the shows for a reasonable price, I started reloading mine years ago or I probably wouldn't be shooting them at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. I kind of thought that it would not work but was hoping. I got in touch with a friend that does reloading and we are going to make me a couple boxes of plinking rounds.

·
Registered
175 Posts
As a note, 32 auto is semi rimmed. I would NOT use factory 32 auto in my top break, but do reload the brass with 3FG black powder. I fill to about 1/8 from the top and press in a 71 grain 32 auto bullet. Just a plinker, but fun to fire 5 into the smoke. Do clean very thoroughly afterward and boil out the brass afterward.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,190 Posts
It should be noted that many old topbrake .32 S&W chambered revolvers were made for black powder ammo. If reloading this round I would suggest b.p. If you shoot modern smokeless ammo in a b.p. top brake it will loosen up the latch, most likely bending the latch screw. It could also brake the latch entirely. Unless you do some research most folks won't know if they have an older p.b. era top brake or one made for modern ammo.

This does not seem to be an issue for solid frame .32 caliber revolvers, only the topbrake revolvers.

·
Registered
19,239 Posts
As a note, 32 auto is semi rimmed. I would NOT use factory 32 auto in my top break, but do reload the brass with 3FG black powder. I fill to about 1/8 from the top and press in a 71 grain 32 auto bullet. Just a plinker, but fun to fire 5 into the smoke. Do clean very thoroughly afterward and boil out the brass afterward.
Beat me to it, .32 auto gives you the brass, if you want to do easy and cheap, you can even load powder puff loads using buckshot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.