Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
STUPID! DANGEROUS! Any time you make a gun capable of chambering a round, somebody will eventually try it with a standard cartridge. I don't believe that the gun would take it. This gun wasn't designed for that power cartridge. The .30 Tokarev conversions are dangerous, this would be suicide.
Joe

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Yikes. Roughly four times the chamber pressure. Yah, not a good idea. Imagine if you got a normal .30 Carbine round mixed up with one of your specially loaded one. Kaboom.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Good God, Man! ;)

Seriously, I don't think that cylinder is that long, anyway.

HAHAHA! Geez! I just thought of that .30 Carbine barrel we chamber bored for .308 on my old Contender, way back in the early 80's. We thought me shooting un-linked M-60 tracers was so cool shooting those 400yd silhouettes. I guess SOMEbody just HAS to try it, right? Young, dumb, full o'...I guess I better stop, now.

Anyway, the Contender/Encore was MADE to do such foolishness.

·
Gold Bullet member
297 Posts
I remember seeing advertisements for the conversion of the Nagant to 7.62 Tokarev, 10yrs or so ago in maybe "Gunlist" or "shotgun news" the ad used a picture of Lenin or Rasputin saying something like 7.62 Nagant "nyet" and 7.62 Tokarev "Da" to sell a conversion maybe you had to send it in and they would convert it. I felt that was an accident waiting to happen. Thats probably why I haven't seen it since.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Yep, I remember those ads too. Don't know what they were thinking. ;)

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Hi Belisarius,

I was at a range in Westchester NY about 14 years ago. Some guy had a converted Nagant in 7.63 x 25 Tokorov it blew up, he was cut a little bit.

The man on his right or left side was hit in the neck with shrapnel from the cylinder.
We got there as the ambulance was taking the guy away.
It was ugly.

'IF" you try it, have the cylinder marked in BIG letters so you or some one else will know not to shoot a regular load from it.
I know I would not attempt it. Murphy's law & gremlins ALWAYS win!

Be safe,
point6

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Go get a Ruger BlackHawk in .30 Carbine and be done with worrying about it. Those will handle surplus and commercial ammo no problem.
Hi cousin,

My pal had a Ruger in 30 cal revolver he sold it because it was so darn LOUD!
It was accurate as I remember it, but he felt the very sharp noise & snappy recoil was not his thing.

Best to all,
point6

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.