Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Star 31p 40 cal. at an auction and am pleasantly surprised at what a nice piece this is but can find almost no info about it , what can you tell me about it? seems they were imported in very small numbers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a 31p in .40 caliber also. You are the only other person I have ever heard of having one in .40 caliber. I found mine in new condition with everything that came with it new for $300.

They are an improved version of the model 30. The end of the barrel has a ball shape instead of straight like the 30 and the extractor was changed to a more common design with a pivot/retaining pin and dedicated spring. The magazines are the same as the 30 except there are no holes in the body and (as far as I know) the 30 didn't come in .40 caliber. Magazines for the .40 caliber 31p are also hard to find but a member here called Star may have some.

I tried my model 30 9mm magazines in my 31p .40 and they worked with .40 caliber without any problems. The feed lips aren't correct for .40 but it did work reliably for me. So far I haven't been able to find any extra .40 magazines locally or on the internet within the U.S. Star in Spain may be the only source for extra magazines for the 31p .40. but the Euro:DDollar exchange rate might make them exspensive.

I don't know how that smiley face got there when I put a ratio symbol. This site has been malfunctioning all day.

If you don't have a manual for it you can find one on the internet. You can also find more information at http://www.star-firearms.com but the sight hasn't been working (for me anyway) lately and I'm not sure the information is always accurate.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had read that the 31 was more accurate because of the improved barrel/slide lockup. Doesn't the 31 also have a decocker feature not on the Model 30?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes the 31 does have a decocker and uses a dedicated safety detent spring. Unlike the 30 which shared the safety detent and extractor spring making it impossible to change the extractor spring without affecting the safety. The 30 extractor is also held in place by spring tention and has no extractor retaining pin. The 30 extractor also seems to collect dirt under it rather quickly (at least my gun does) making it necessary to take it out ocassionally for cleaning. The 31 safety and extractor are a better design than the 30 and, unlike the 30, you don't have to disassemble the safety to get the extractor out.

One other thing about the safety on the 30 and 31 is that it won't stop you from being able to pull the trigger. The safety only retracts the firing pin so the hammer can't strike it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys i actually thought at first this was a cheapo gun but after firing it and checking out the gun its a keeper!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts