Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some Hornady #3120 which is a 150gr. Spire point .312 Dia. that I want to try in my M39. The barrel slugged at .3115 but that was before I got the last few layers of cosmoline out of it. I intend to start at the low end charge weight. Have any of you shot .312 dia. jacketed bullets from your Mosin Nagants? One more thing. I know many guys shoot .312 cast bullets do you change your expander ball when loading the bigger dia. bullets?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks Dale,
My Hornady Manual is fairly old. It does not list loads for anything other than .308 dia. bullets. It has the case OAL at 2.050" too. I don't know why. It may just be a type O. What about the expander ball? The .312 bullet leaves a noticeable impression inside the neck of the case. I had no trouble starting or seating them and I have a .308 bell mouth die I can use even if I did but should I try to get a 303 Britt expander ball or just let the bullet squeeze in?

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
Thanks Dale,
My Hornady Manual is fairly old. It does not list loads for anything other than .308 dia. bullets. It has the case OAL at 2.050" too. I don't know why. It may just be a type O. What about the expander ball? The .312 bullet leaves a noticeable impression inside the neck of the case. I had no trouble starting or seating them and I have a .308 bell mouth die I can use even if I did but should I try to get a 303 Britt expander ball or just let the bullet squeeze in?
Motor. I don't load for either of those calibers but, just from general experience I would think it doesn't matter if the neck of the case is being bulged a little as long as, as Dale pointed out, it will chamber freely with no resistance. Try the dummy round as Dale pointed out. Seat the bullet to the desired depth, and try to chamber it. Smoke the bullet before doing so. That way you can kill two birds with one stone. If the bolt is stiff to close, and you see land marks on the smoked bullet, you're seating out to far. If the bullet shows no land marks, but still a stiff bolt on closing, then the neck of the case could be bulged to much, or the case is to long. Try chambering an empty case of the same length also. If it chambers easily, the bulged case is probably the problem. Every weapon has different chambers and throats. Especially the old milsurps. You have to figure out how yours likes to be fed.
Warren

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Warren,Dale:
Thanks for the input. This rifle has a long throat. It has about .300" of bullet jump with Czech light ball. I didn't bother measuring what it is with the .312 150gr. I guess I should. The loaded round chambers freely. I have some fired cases from the Czech light ball and the .312 bullet will fit in the neck. It don't fall in but there is very little resistance. I loaded the .312's to the back edge of the cannelure. I could load them longer but wanted them to be durable enough to be magazine fed. The intended purpose of this load is to have a deer hunting load for my son.(It's his rifle) I hope to get a load that shoots about 2400 or 2500 fps so the recoil is not too stout.
Motor

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dale,
I wasn't concerned about the bullets moving in the case I just don't want them hanging out so far that they could be moved by rough handeling as in fast bolt work feeding from the magazine. I went to the range today. I am going to post a new thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need bullets

I've got some Hornady #3120 which is a 150gr. Spire point .312 Dia. that I want to try in my M39. The barrel slugged at .3115 but that was before I got the last few layers of cosmoline out of it. I intend to start at the low end charge weight. Have any of you shot .312 dia. jacketed bullets from your Mosin Nagants? One more thing. I know many guys shoot .312 cast bullets do you change your expander ball when loading the bigger dia. bullets?
I need those exact bullets! Please contact me. [email protected]. Thank you so much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.