Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
If it were me I would order a Lee push through sizer in .308 spray a little case lube on them in a plastic bag roll them all around wait a few min. and size them down This works fine I've done quite a few this way .If you plan on shooting them as is keep your loads at sensible levels as always start low and work up as your pressures will be higher from the barrel acting as the sizer.

Tim

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
I wouldn't do it... 308's are going to be cheaper and more accurate and you definately cannot use published load data safely with oversized bullets..

But then I don't know your situation .. so I got to ask, why would you even want to?

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Good enough reason LOL.... if you do swag them down, and were I you I would , do a roll test on the bullets after swagging... level surface roll the bullet across it without your hand on it and watch for any wobble that would indicate it being heavier on one side from the swagging.. kind of a speed up slow down roll... probably not a problem with just .002 but it does happen with jacketed bullets sometimes

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
I'd use the .310 for reloading my .303 Brit and use .308 for my Swiss. What you are proposing can be done, but it just kinda goes against the grain IMHO....

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
One more thing to consider before shooting them at .311 in the tight bored swiss(actually .3075) Those milsurp bullets (I assume your talking 54R ball ) Is that they are alot different construction than traditional US made jacketed .There is the steel core with just a small amount of lead covering it and then a steel jacket covering that! Yes the steel core and jacket matl. is fairly soft as steel goes but alot less malable than the softer copper jacket and soft lead core of regular bullets. Again I would advise to size them down to .308 first ,The Lee sizer is a small investment (14.00) and will last basicly forever.

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.