Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came into some comercial brass in .308 Winchester that's been picked up at the local range over the years. It's more than I need really, so I wanted opinions on which is better for reloading. The brass is a mix of:

Remington (R-P headstamp)
Federal (FC headstamp)
Winchester (several headstamps including Super Speed, W-W Super, Super-X)

How would you rank these for reloading purposes?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I second Harpers Ferry opinion.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
I have to go against the consensus at this point. My preference is Remington, Federal and then Winchester. My preference is based on one factor only and that is that Winchester brass appears to be a harder/more brittle brass. When I trim Remington brass I get nice smooth shavings. When I trim Winchester brass it almost seems to be chipping and it makes a nasty grinding sound. Winchester brass seems to clean up nicer in the tumbler. Federal brass I have had some problems getting primers to seat properly. I have to treat Federal cases as though they were military and swage each case before reloading. In the end, it probably boils down more to personal preference than any discernable difference ...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have not really had any problems with winchester brass, but I will 2nd the notion that is is hard stuff. Takes a lot more force on the ram to size it than the R-P. The R-P has been holding up pretty good so far. But I have not had a lot of time reloading either one a whole lot.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Gun Lover, tell us more about "swage" on 308 brass. Do you have a way to reduced the head diameter and tighten up primer pockets.

I have been thinking of how to do this. What's the poop?

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
Sorry for the delay in responding. I lost track of this thread...

By swaging I just mean taking any crimp out of the primer pocket to facilitate seating a new primer. It's not about tightening up a primer pocket but rather rolling out any crimp material so it doesn't interfere with seating a new primer. Most military brass cases have crimped primers but I have found Federal brass to have very tight primer pockets if I don't swage them first. I use the Dillon Super Swage for all of my swaging needs. It is about a $100 investment but will last a lifetime (probably multiple lifetimes) and is fast and easy.
Regards,
G/L

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.