Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much of the chamber end of a 308 Win barrel would you have to cut off to safely rechamber to 300 Sav? It is a bull barrel so there is plenty of meat left to rethread. 300 Sav you may ask. The ultimate goal is to re-contour the barrel to an 1891 argentine carbine barrel configuration. The original sights, etc. would be used. 300 Sav is safe in that action ; 308 Win is not. Please do not cry bubba or butcher. All that currently exists is a bare receiver, barrel with sights and a nosecap. The current barrel is fair. Will see how it shoots before embarking on this money wasting by interesting conversion.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My uncle bought a 308 99 Savage to replace his 300 Savage that had a worn out barrel . Shot the 300 Savage ammo he had left over in the 308 for the rest of his life .Claimed he never bought a box of 308 and never had a problem with the rifle

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Deutsche - The same with people who shoot 308 in a 30-06 barrel. As long as the extractor holds the cartridge against the bolt face and as long as you don't get case head seperations, it works.

Tippy - To your question - the barrel should be set back a minimum necessary to clean up the neck, shoulder, and a good part of the body. In other words, most of the old chamber. The 300 Savage has more body taper and a smaller shoulder diameter so it's actually a complete re-chamber.

Don't forget. The 308 started life as a 300 Savage so the Savage can be handloaded to the same velocity and pressure as the 308. But, if you'll only be using factory ammo it's a moot point.

Ray

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the 308 Win is .454" where the shoulder starts 1.55" from the base of the cartridge. If I measure from the base of the 300 Sav to where the body diameter is .454" and subtract that number from 1.55", that should be the minimum amount I need to remove from the chamber end of the 308 Win barrel so I can rechamber to 300 Sav. Does that logic make sense?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The numbers are correct and your math is right. BUT, you are assuming that the existing chamber and the new reamer are exactly like the drawings. It would not take much for you to end up with a lop-sided chamber. That's why most gunsmiths will remove the entire chamber before reaming the new one. If removing the entire chamber only means shortening the barrel another 1/2 inch or so, it may be worth it.

Good luck

Ray

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Well, my first question is what is the .308 barrel threaded for now or is it even threaded? What is it worth if you sold it? You can buy small ring threaded barrels for .300 Savage at less than $100. Hell, if you could sell the bull barrel for $50 you are miles ahead. The machining costs alone could run over $100 on your .308 barrel to convert it.

How much of the chamber end of a 308 Win barrel would you have to cut off to safely rechamber to 300 Sav? It is a bull barrel so there is plenty of meat left to rethread. 300 Sav you may ask. The ultimate goal is to re-contour the barrel to an 1891 argentine carbine barrel configuration. The original sights, etc. would be used. 300 Sav is safe in that action ; 308 Win is not. Please do not cry bubba or butcher. All that currently exists is a bare receiver, barrel with sights and a nosecap. The current barrel is fair. Will see how it shoots before embarking on this money wasting by interesting conversion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, my first question is what is the .308 barrel threaded for now or is it even threaded? What is it worth if you sold it? You can buy small ring threaded barrels for .300 Savage at less than $100. Hell, if you could sell the bull barrel for $50 you are miles ahead. The machining costs alone could run over $100 on your .308 barrel to convert it.
I appreciate your input. The barrel is threaded for a Sako L579. The bore has a bad spot 1" or so from the muzzle. Shortening the chamber end would give room rethread and leave enough room to cut the muzzle to remove the bad spot in the bore and just have enough length left for the carbine. I do not think you can purchase a 300 Savage barrel with a mod 91 Argentine carbine military contour (my original plan), so you are in for some machining no matter which way you go. If I can salvage an otherwise useless barrel for slightly north of $100.00 I would be happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts