Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Cheaper to reload than convert

Not to pummel you, but with .308 surplus running .45 per round pre Obama ammo/gun panic, reloading the 7.5 mm on Privi or graf and sons brass with $25 lee dies would be a lot cheaper than paying a smith to convert one to .308.

Since the 7.5 can use common .308 bullets, you almost have an infinite choice of loads. Plenty of load data out there. Even buying factory privi loads versus surplus .308, it would take thousands of rounds to make up the difference of the conversion cost.

Visit graf and sons web site, aimsurplus, and do the math. Lots of help here to get it running.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I picked up a .308 conversion for $42 today at a local show... front handguards don't fit quite right, but I can make shims. Not a collectors item, no doubt.

Thrackmoor
I'm not sure to consider my two MAS French 49/56 commando rifles in 308 collectables or not after all its part of the 49/56 history that they were converted right? Even though they were converted by century arms. Even if its not a valued collectable i wouldn't beat it up and i would still value it as a collectable because adding a few more years down the road that may change with popularity or demand. I still like to shoot both the 308 and the orginal 7,5mm french. These are amaising semi auto rifles. I have many favorites and the 49/56 is one of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.